WTFG???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
(or..."where tha fluid go?)

Does anyone know for SURE If it is possible for the clutch slave cylinder to leak into the engine? Master almost bone dry, NO external leaks visible. :headscratch:

Yeah. But that small amount isn't going to hurt anything. Hydraulic fluid is actually just lightweight oil. If you are mixing the contents of one or so master cylinders per crankcase oil change cycle, I wouldn't worry about it.

I just changed the erl & filter about 2-3 weeks ago. Still don't like the idea of brake fluid in the erl....it will effect the rubber seals and stuff. Guess I be looking for a rebuild kit... :fiddle:

my 1200 does this also. So far has not caused any problem and I changed the oil about every three thousand miles. The only thing that bothered me about it is the mind games of wondering and I always think about what the caliper chambers look like after that brake fluid has collected that moisture and rust starts showing up. Makes your skin crawl don't it. :smilie_happy:

From information I got from another GW forum it is possible that the brake fluid can go into the engine and cause severe damage. Brake fluid is NOT a lubricant. I have a '94 and rebuilt the slave cylinder a year ago. There is supposed to be a bleed hole for leaking fluid to escape, mine was clogged. The cavity just in front of the slave cylinder was full of crystallized brake fluid.
Rebuilding the slave cylinder is not difficult or expensive. The hardest part for me was getting it bleeding the system. I did not have a bleed tool.
You can leave it if you want, it's a risk I would not take.