If it weren't fer bad luck....(noise)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
sigh.... :whip:
So there I am, riding in to werk this mernin, when I hear this strange, loud noise. First thought was it was from the car ahead of me, but then i realized it was ME. Strange noise, sorta like a cross between an air whistle and a scrape noise. I have my balaclava and helmet on, so it's kinda muffled, but still pretty dang loud. I grab the clutch and let off the throttle, no change. Grab front and rear brakes, no change. Slow down, no change, speed up, no change. The noise is not RPM or speed related apparently. What the heck? I keep ridin, and after another mile or two it does get slightly quieter, but still doesn't change in pitch. Get close to the shop where I have to slow for a skool zone, downshift from 5th to 4th, no change in noise. Snick from 4th to 3rd....noise stops. However...I couldn't tell if the noise stopped before/during/after the gear change. Once it quit, it never came back, but I never got it above 35-40mph(in town riding). I'm thinkin/hopin it is the speedo cable....the noise was definitely coming from the front area of the bike, best I could tell at the time. I'm also hoping that it is NOT a friggin timing belt tensioner..... :beg: I would think that if it were a tensioner bearing, the noise would change pitch/volume at different RPMs, but who knows?
Once I got to the shop, I stopped the engine and started it several times, and revved it up to around 4000 rpms, but it never made any noise. Oh pleeeeaaaasssse just be a speedo cable..PLEEEEAAASSSE!!!! :beg:

Not such an easy job on the 1500. Lots-o tupperware hasta come off to get to the gauge cluster. I'll definitely be taking it off this weekend and lubing it anyway.

:headscratch: Idano...we shall see. :thanks:
Amazing enough, there was NO noise on the ride home...even more reason to suspect it was the speedo cable, imo. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202182#p202182:2l373fa5 said:
julimike54 » Today, 5:58 am[/url]":2l373fa5]
Maybe you had picked up a piece of road debris and it feel off?
I had that happen once. A small cloth lodged in at the front axle. Was torn to shreds once I stopped to have a look. Took a while to dig out all the tangled in twines.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202182#p202182:24rljlar said:
julimike54 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am[/url]":24rljlar]
Maybe you had picked up a piece of road debris and it feel off?

I have considered that also. I've had crap stick up in the rad area of the 1100 before that fluttered and such until I slowed enough for it to fall off. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202186#p202186:24rljlar said:
Omega Man » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:41 pm[/url]":24rljlar]
and just for reference when my belt tensioner went out it sounded like a circular saw cutting through a 2x4.:?

~O~

No skill saw chewin up a 2x4 noise, so that's encouraging! :blush: