sigh... clutch slave cylinder SOLVED! BIG TIME

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to keep this clean so bear with me. :rant:

I got the alternator out after some struggle and finally remembering you have to pull it off the guide pins and rotate it clockwise until the post for the power cable can clear the frame in the back.

So now I have better access to the bolt holding the business end of the bleed-tube and the bottom left cylinder bolts, some access to the top bolt behind the banjo but still almost zero access to the bottom right bolt. I can't even get my fingertip between the bolt and the obstruction(muffler or frame).

At the moment I've just walked away from it, trying to calm down. I want to remove the bleed-tube which sits on top of the cylinder maybe that will change the access to the top and bottom right bolt, we'll see in a while. :rant:

Pffft, It's probably my shitty tools, the guys that said it was "easy, just a couple wrenches" probably have those tiny socket sets and sockets that can turn corners.

~O~

Okay, taking a break now. It's still not off but I smelled bacon so here I am.

I gave up on my tools and took a closer look at the kit that comes with the bike, I know I've read you can do just about everything with one of these. The elbow box wrench was quite effective. With the bleeder and it's banjo removed I had much better access to the top bolt, so I took the easy ones off. One of the maintenance guys stopped to see what I doing so I was able to borrow a better flashlight.

I could finally SEE the bottom bolt, and I'll be damned it lines up with the 1/2" slit between the muffler and frame. Even better, the kit open end 12mm reaches the bolt... barely. Before I stopped to eat/post I see I need to attack the last one from the top now because the head is rubbing on the muffler and I can't reach it from below.

That b*tch is coming off! More to follow!

~O~

image.php

Not too bad, I've seen much worse online. Here it is on my Clymers lap work station(all it's good for).

I would really like to EF'n know why people never mention the ONE THING, ONE THING! that makes this one of the easiest jobs on a GL1500.

That last bolt wasn't rubbing on the muffler. I removed one 8mm nut/screw and try to move the unit back just a little and it just rolled down! exposing the two hook latches on the back that make this AIR canister not muffler out and down and OUT! :shock:

image.php

Here you see the room now and that is the tank hanging out the bottom of the bike there in the center of the pic.

more to come...

~O~

It's done. :BigGrin: I read that bleeding the clutch on a 1500 can be tough, but mine was easy enough.

Removing the Alternator AND that air drum are key to this being an easy repair. Now that I know just how easy it can be I'll probably never have to do it again. :(

Oh yeah, had my fill of wrenching for a while. Can't believe I missed it. :roll:

~O~

:clapping: Congratz O-man!! Thanks for sharing the tips...I'll be needing this info shortly to do mine! :yes: :thanks:

Glad you got it eventually, but if you think that was difficult, try removing the slave on a Hydro converted GL1000. Start by dropping the engine.........