1984 GL1200 Rear brakes stuck

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
Ok i went through the whole bike its running . I went for first test drive and realized the rear brakes had locked up. I cleaned the outside pistons and flushed the system long ago but now they are locked hard. Anybody had this one happen?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179455#p179455:3imhyhm2 said:
slabghost » 5 minutes ago[/url]":3imhyhm2]
Check your brake pedal pivot point. They get stuck from dried grease and rust after 30 years.

Very common and likely.
There is also a tiny return port in the master cylinder under the reservoir cup that can plug up and cause this.

When i first cleaned out the calipers I had to release pressure from the piston to get the calipers to depress. I guess that maybe there could be a clog. I cant hardly touch the ground when sittjng on it. How far can I drop it?

Remove the caliper from the bike and use a C clamp to push the piston in. It will fight you and you'll think it won't give but it will a little at a time just keep cranking down the piston. An old brake pad on the piston makes it a bit easier. Once it "pops" free and you can run the piston nearly to the bottom. Drain the fluid from the master reservoir and put in fresh. Leaving the clamp in place Pump up pressure to the caliper and bleed it. Do that until you get fresh clean fluid. Reinstall the caliper with the brake pads in place. Pump the piston out to good contact with the rotor. Top off the reservoir and check brake function.

Thank you very much that seems to work. Is there any chance these brakes could lockup when riding and stopping then going ooh ohh.

Yes if the pivot binds up on the peddle. If you haven't yet removed the pedal to clean and grease it sure wouldn't hurt to do it just for peace of mind.

I had a similar problem with my '83 Aspencade. After ruling out everything else several times, I discovered the problem was the length of the piston in the rear master cylinder. You can see my post titled " '83 Aspy rear master lockup". I would post the link, but I don't know how.

If indeed this is your problem you would be the second person to tell about it.

Attachments

• IMG_8351small.jpg
    IMG_8351small.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 130
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179547#p179547:25cpjxn8 said:
kerryb » Today, 10:38 am[/url]":25cpjxn8]
I had a similar problem with my '83 Aspencade. After ruling out everything else several times, I discovered the problem was the length of the piston in the rear master cylinder. You can see my post titled " '83 Aspy rear master lockup". I would post the link, but I don't know how.

If indeed this is your problem you would be the second person to tell about it.
file.php
Yes the 1983 has the linked front/rear fed from the rear master cylinder. The piston is longer to pump more fluid.
The shorter piston will fit but won't push enough fluid.

Latest posts