OEM Carb Rack - Bell Crank Shaft Removal?!?!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertrefugee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, could one of you carb gurus please throw me a bone here? I had the bright idea to incorporate an OEM bell crank into my upcoming Weber conversion, but how in the sam hill does the inner shaft come off of this thing? For me, it spins in both directions with no sign of outward movement.

Has anyone removed this shaft? In the photo below, the shaft itself is indicated by the large red arrow. There's a skinny 8mm flat on the outside of the shaft indicated by the small red arrow. Sucker just spins.

Anybody had this thing off? Am I crackin' up?

Attachments

• IMG_5579 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5579 - Copy.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 143
Hmmmm ...I’m thinking it’s pressed in ...look like a good sign not to use that part .....I’d say the bell crank itself could be used...The carbs are a major pain in throttle hook up .....but so are the stock carbs .....

I don't think I'll use this bit. Two reasons: 1) three springs and likely too hard a throttle pull. 2). a bell crank spring stop would have to be fashioned. It would look cludgey and honestly not worth the trouble. I'll just use a central pivot and opposing Heim rods - like most other setups.

Sounds like a good plan. The rods can be length and angle adjusted to get the proper pull and range of motion too.

I too believe that the hard throttle and long travel is due to the bell crank arrangement. Much better to use the link setup.