No RPM

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash2002

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guy's, I was working on my 84 standard and notice the RPM gauge not working. I check all the wires and everything looks to be good. Is there a way to check the RPM gauge ? Can it be the modual that's causing the problem, does the gauge run on 7 volts and can I run a wire from the coil to the gauge.

I think you would need another tachometer to test if it's getting a signal, maybe a analog volt meter would work for some reference but I don't know how accurate it would be or what reading you should get.

Tach on 84 standards another HARD TO FIND part, :rant: earlier models have cable to drive tach. Been lucky so far with mine, am not sure how to check signal to see if tach needs replaced. :oops:

Shees..I dont really know unless there is a test procedure in the manual. If it electronic and you have no other available to hook up the easiest way would be to test the sources. I would imagine there is a positive and negative and a wire to the negative side of the coil/coils. I would start with the 12V positive and negative(chassis ground) then the coils negative.
Should be able to identify colors in a wiring diagram.
Also the coils negative test is not 12Volts, just check for continuity with power off.

Yellow/blue ignition module if eyes are right, green-ground, black/brown 12 volts. All the wires I see, think that's right

Your Welcome; Glad you found it, been helped past a few wiring issues myself, & they are not one of my better abilities, :clapping: the factury shop manual shows what goes where, but its hard to see where lines go sometimes. :smilie_happy:

That's as good an excuse as any, :salute: actual colors of ALL wires to match the colors on the harness would be helpful. :good: Clymer's that I have is, but only shows power & ground to the tach's light, no wire to ignition module shown there. :cheeky:

Look in 'Gallery Tech References' good diagram
image.php

Looks like the Clymer that I have, no wire to module shown, only light circuit or am I missing something???

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149335#p149335:y3izbiyj said:
flash2002 » Yesterday, 2:58 am[/url]":y3izbiyj]
This is the one I had, good colours and size.
file.php
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149348#p149348:y3izbiyj said:
Denver » Yesterday, 8:30 am[/url]":y3izbiyj]
Looks like the Clymer that I have, no wire to module shown, only light circuit or am I missing something???
If referring to this diagram: lower right portion of page has coils, follow to top right portion, the coil signal to the tach

Saw it go to ignition & not to tach, asked was I missing something, & SURE WAS. Like I said wiring not so good as some other things, not great at anything. Saw a long time ago, people who are the BEST at something, are often not having a good time, or any fun doing it. Being the BEST is not an easy task, & IT becomes TOO important to enjoy what your doing.

Latest posts