a no pic not planned ride

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detdrbuzzard

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lisa stopped by Friday evening and said that she and a couple of friends were going to kokomo, in. Saturday. I had just received a new half and full covers from wingstuff so I gave lisa the old half cover cause it was treated with camp dry. Saturday morning I was out the door early to get a pic of a couple of murals, the mural I really wanted a pic of had a small truck partly blocking it so I text lisa to see what time they were leaving, she replied back " 07:30 " so with nothing else to do I shot over to there meeting place. talk about hitting the road unprepared, they were! lisa's power outlet was not working, someone hid the ground line to the battery so her gps ( I gave her the one fossil gave me years ago ) and the other two guys didn't have a way to mount the gps. they didn't print out a map quest route to get there and decided to rely on their phones which didn't turn out to be good either. my plan was to ride with them to fort wayne, in. then head for home.

seeing that I wasn't lost and wasn't going to kokomo I let rick lead, after all it was his ride :)
rick was confused and wondered why his phone's gps sent him south on us-23 into ohio, I told him us-23 south to us-24 west but after crossing into ohio he messed that up and we went about eight miles south of us-24. after exiting the expressway to check his phone ( no one bothered to write down the directions the phone's gps gave ) we headed north back to us-24, the look on Roberts face was priceless. Robert rode with me from lima, oh. a couple of weeks ago, we stopped in the Michigan welcome center on I-75 to pick up a couple of maps of Michigan and I went over reading the map with him. on the ride to kokomo they didn't bother to pick up a map of Indiana and mine was home seeing that I had not planned to ride that far. we stopped for gas in woodburn, don't remember if that was in ohio or Indiana and they had a worried look on their faces, lost! they pushed on westward for fort wayne and seemed relieved that they were going in the right direction and none of them thought to just buy a map at any of the truck stops we passed by or the truck stop in woodburn we fueled up at. what about the gps on the mighty ST 1300? well I never turned it on until they stopped to check their phones for directions about 25 miles east of kokomo and had no cell service. I led them north out of town and got them going in the right direction, rick again took the lead and got us to the hotel in kokomo. once in the hotel I walked over and got a local map of kokomo and an Indiana travel map, I used the travel map to show ( I high lighted the route ) them how to get home, they should be on there way back today

it was around 14:00 and I was going to hang out with them until 17:30 before riding home myself but after looking at the Indiana travel map I decided to take us-31 north to us-35, in-9 north then pick up in-6 for Kendallville. from there I would pick up the 469 loop then take us -27 north into fort wayne and cruise through the city. I left kokomo about 16:30 so I would have more time to spend on some of Indiana's back roads, about half way to Kendallville there appeared a very large black cloud coming north east from kokomo and I thought I was going to get wet but I seem to be out running the storm, yippie!! I got a real good look at the city of fort wayne, while they may have less crime than Detroit going by the looks i'll stay in the motor city. after leaving out of fort wayne I got on I-69 for a couple miles before getting on us-24 and heading east, didn't see that big black cloud either, just sunny skies. I took us-23 north and stopped in Dundee, mi. for water and gator aide, while having a drink that big black ugly cloud caught up with me so I cut my drink short and headed north and got home just after 21:00 with the only moisture being from what I produced. I had put a couple of gallons in the fuel cell to try it out and it worked as it should but the fuel line is tied in with one of the breather lines from the gas tank so what gas that didn't make it into the tank ( very little ) came out the vent line and ended up on the ground

I really didn't need the fuel cell for this run, I filled up before leaving home and went 174.5 miles before refilling in woodburn, in ( just got the receipt out to find out if woodburn was in ohio or Indiana ), the fuel cell was filled at home but not used at this point. I was still showing a half a tank of fuel. my next stop for fuel was back in fort wayne on my way home after 198 miles, still hadn't bothered with the gas in the cell. somewhere out on us-24 after the fuel gauge dropped a couple of bars I opened the petcock on fuel cell until the fuel gauge until came up a bar, it wouldn't have made a difference on the ride home but I wanted to try it out. another 187.5 miles from fort wayne to home and 553 total mileage

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192023#p192023:3eywgkt9 said:
mcgovern61 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am[/url]":3eywgkt9]
Nice ride! How were the temps out there? (Pretty darned muggy and humid here.)
the mighty ST 1300 was showing 90º when I left kokomo, 86 to 88º pretty much everywhere else, hot in ohio and hot plus humid in michigan

Missing your usual great pictures William but I fully understand just getting out and enjoying the ride even if you were lost half the time. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192030#p192030:2w2bqadc said:
Ansimp » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm[/url]":2w2bqadc]
Missing your usual great pictures William but I fully understand just getting out and enjoying the ride even if you were lost half the time. :smilie_happy:
I wasn't lost but they were :)
I've taken us-24 to fort wayne many times and I'm just smart enough to stop and buy a map :)