Big Sur ride October 14,15

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I'm planning a 2 day trip-ride North with skiri to Big Sur. The final date will depend which Friday my daughters boyfriend (Alex) can get off from work. I think skiri is flexible.

So far confirmed are skiri, Brent (my son) and Alex. A cabinet maker I know (Bill) might make it also.

The ride plans are to leave out dark-30 that Friday morning, ride through to Big Sur up the coast by way of Army base Fort Hunter Liggit. Dry camp there somewhere, then head back Saturday.

If you can make it for a meet along the way...or run the route partway... great. Post here.

My biggest concern is morning coffee Lol. If we camp on the base, they have a place to eat. What time they open we'll have to find out. I would suppose being an army base they'd open early but who knows. Many civilians live there also.
It's been easily ten years since I've been to the base. Anyone knows for sure more recent details would be helpful.

Sounds like a great run. :good:
Definitely some of my favourite riding/driving country even though I have only managed it a few times. Here's hoping for a few more times in the future. :yes:

Over the weekend I cleaned the carb and got the accelerator pump working. They never drilled a passage thru, gees.

Put fresh plugs in.

New fuel line.

Other than replacing the rear tire, the oldwing is ready to go for this trip.

Getting anxious for this trip even though it's only 2 days!

I've been concerned for food and especially gas so I called a Chevron station in Big sur. They're open 8AM to 8PM with gas 24 hours by credit card. Nice girl I talked to told me there are 3-4 places open from breakfast to dinner.
There should also be gas on the base at Fort Hunter Liggit but I haven't found a phone number. Should be food there also.

Camping Friday night I need to check into more yet. If we don't find a place, there is camping on the base.

I was thinking to pull my little trailer but it needs work to get road worthy so I probably won't.

So far there are 4 confirmed going. Rednaxs60 is riding down from Canada leaving on October 10th. Should be a nice trip for him. He is going to check in here in this thread.

Still waiting to hear back if my Son can get that Saturday off.

Will be ordering a 2 person tent over the weekend.

Pretty much meals will be restaurants and snacks. Probably going to have sandwiches for dinner Friday night unless there's a convenient place near by where ever we end up for the night.

Oh man, would I love to join you for that one. Unfortunately, it's not in the cards for me this fall. I went south from Monterrey to Cambria after Laguna Seca Super Bike races last year. Had done it by car, but bike was on my bucket list. Check. Now, I want to go north from San Francisco to the Olympic Peninsula. Not checked.

The Pacific Coast Highway is just one of those places that defies description - and the expression "pictures don't do it justice" is so overused but really applies there. And Big Sur is a special place in a special region. Enjoy that trip, Dan.

Attachments

• DSCN0261.jpg
    DSCN0261.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 123
Looking forward to the trip. Had snow in some of the passes in BC, keeping an eye on the ones through lower Oregon and into CA.

Good to hear about the fuel and food availability.

Bike is working well, will be doing an oil change before leaving, otherwise all is done. Going to be a good trip.

Cheers

You guys are killing me. Really. The one ride I will be doing again soon is the Pacific Coast Highway with some time in Big Sur. The thing about Big Sur - I've been through there and not been able to see a thing. Fog so thick the rocks straight down were fuzzy.

Then there are days like this. One of the best places to ride a motorcycle on this planet. Take the time and ride south a few miles while you're there...

Attachments

• LookingSouth.jpg
    LookingSouth.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 112
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196023#p196023:1nwifr3z said:
desertrefugee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 am[/url]":1nwifr3z]
You guys are killing me. Really. The one ride I will be doing again soon is the Pacific Coast Highway with some time in Big Sur. The thing about Big Sur - I've been through there and not been able to see a thing. Fog so thick the rocks straight down were fuzzy.

Then there are days like this. One of the best places to ride a motorcycle on this planet. Take the time and ride south a few miles while you're there...
file.php
+1
Luckily we only experienced the marine layer on the way up early in the morning in July 2011 which was heavy enough to have to keep cleaning our visors or you couldn't see. I had a sneaky suspicion that maybe it was a long way from the guardrail down to the water and was able to confirm it on the return trip. As there were stop go lights on the roadworks and we had to be back in OC by 1700hrs to drop off my rental Road King, my brother Kim called it at the last roadworks before Big Sur at around 1100hrs. Luckily the marine layer had lifted enough that I could now see that spectacular Coast line on the way back. We only just made it back in time for the rental drop off as it was a Friday and peak hour gridlock started at about 1400hrs. Luckily lane splitting is legal in CA, I just don't know that you should be doing it at 50mph. :hihihi:

This is going to be a good ride there and back. Like the premise of camping but not cooking - read on one of these forums of a fellow that toured this way.

Did the coast to San Diego and back with stops in Palm Springs and San Francisco back in 2015. Took the coast road down and then through the Mojave Dessert to Palm Springs for a few days. A small round trip to San Diego then off to San Francisco and back north. Looking forward to riding the coast again.

Picked up a sleeping pad for the trip and if this works out not too bad, looking at a more off the ground one like this:
Aluminum Alloy Sleeping Cot.JPG

Some specs:

Weight:1.5kg
Load Bearing 100KG (220 Lbs)
Unfolded size:180*58*10CM
Packing size: 41*12CM

Lots of options today that were not available years ago - love technology.

Cheers

That is where my Tag A Long trailer is great! All the great camping gear I need including some items that you would not normally carry on a bike (like the 8 person instant cabin tent) because of size and weight.