Saturday Cruise- Upper Mississippi River Valley

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveKamp

Reaction score
Yesterday, I took my daughter on a short day-cruise up the Mississippi River Valley.

Started in LeClaire, Iowa... went north to Clinton, crossed into Illinois, up 84 to Savannah, Illinois, north to Hanover, then a short jaunt east on 20 to Elizabeth, where we wandered through a few antique stores and shops.

Doubled back to Hanover, and just at the edge of town turned right onto BlackJack road (aka route 8). This is a twisty climb up over Chestnut Mountain, and the decent on the back side is lots of fun. It rolls into Galena, which is a rather touristy place. We parked and wandered there, too.

From Galena, we took 20 across into Dubuque, Iowa, then up US52 to Durango, and had lunch at the Durango Grill. 52 is a twisty old highway through beautiful country, and an old railroad line there has been turned into a nice bicycle path... so the Durango Grill is heavily frequented by bikers of many types.

From Durango, we followed 52 northeast to Rickardsville, then turned north onto James Rd (Y21), took it all the way to Ridge Rd (C63) then immediately left onto North Buena Vista Rd (C9Y). Don't bother looking for signs because from the ridge, you'll see it... the view is spectacular. Anyone who thinks Iowa is 'flat', will find out how wrong they really are...

North Buena Vista Rd took us right into the little river town of North Buena Vista. We followed main street all the way to the railroad tracks, turned right, past the harbor, turned left under the tracks, all the way to the boat landing... just so that my daughter could stand under the sign. This is Upper Mississippi River mile 603.4... that's the distance UP from the confluence of the Ohio River. For reference, We started at URM 499.8.

From North Bueunie, we continued on C9Y through twisty, climby, decenty turns along the steep valley edge to the unincorporated village of Turkey River, then turned right onto 360th street (Oak Rd), followed it across the railroad tracks, down a dusty road through the wildlife preserve, to the river's edge, where we boarded the Pride of Cassville ferryboat. Eight bucks got her, me, and the Aspy across to Cassville, Wisconsin.

We found our way through town to Route 133, followed it southward to Potosi, and stopped at the Potosi Brewery for dinner. Sun was going down when we left, so we hopped on US61, followed it across the Mississippi once more, and southward on the divided 4-lane of 61 all the way back home.

Aside from that last leg, and a short span from Galena to 52 in Dubuque, this was all smaller 2-lane country roads. Traffic was gentle, and lots of great places to stop for refreshments and rest. SOME of the roads are very popular motorcycling routes, but the smaller roads I noted are largely unknown to many. If you're touring the area and HAVEN'T been on some of these roads, DO... but make sure you've got good brakes and no slop in your swingarm... Mine seems tight enough, but it felt 'squirmy' coming down some of those tight-curved decents.

She's 13. Just old enough to feel a little wierd hanging out with her dad, but young enough to realize that nobody she knows is around to see her enjoy it. :smilie_happy:

There were very FEW segments that weren't incredibly scenic, and she was taking it all in. The state routes with traffic and four-lane sections were the least interesting, but the two lane wanderings overshadowed them by far. The home stretch down 61 was totally dark, straight, and a clear view of the moonlight. A little chilly, but she figured out why I packed jackets and gloves. :eek:k: