Big Sur Ride Addendum - Flight of the Canada Goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rednaxs60

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trip has been a source of excitement for the last while. Now it's for real and on the road again. Been watching the weather, forest fires in California, and having a trip itinerary for the way back promulgated by the Mrs. All is going to be great. Loaded the bike the night before, and found all my heated gear.

Dan mentioned that pictures would be good. Don't know about the collective, but I'm not a photo guy, and once on the road and I get into a comfortable ride - who wants to stop, but I will endeavour to do some.

Dan mentioned leaving Friday morning for Big Sur at zero-dark-thirty. Hears what 0500 looks like with the bike warming up to leave Victoria:
Zero Dark 30 First Morning.jpg
It was 6-7 degrees C, overcast, but good riding weather. Caught the 0600 ferry out of Swartz Bay for Tsawwassen on the mainland. Wanted to be through the Peace Arch crossing by 0900, but there was very little traffic, road up to the US Customs, and one minute later was through. Seattle by 1000, then a brief stop and onward. Started to drizzle just before Olympia, and this was the riding weather until about 50 miles out of Grants Pass. From Portland on it was rain, and to stop and do photos was not in the cards. It was ride from gas stop to gas stop, and hope to outdistance the rain.

10 hours on the road and successfully into a Motel 6 in Grants Pass. Went for coffee with a fellow I had corresponded with from GWDocs, Rich who goes by the moniker of Twocams. Always good to follow up and put face to name. He sold his GW and now has 3 Beamers, nice older bikes. Had coffee and told war stories.

Coming into Grants Pass after the rain was a nice ride. Scenery is quite spectacular:
After the Rain Heading Into Grants Pass.jpg
Needed a photo to celebrate no rain.

Had a good rest and off again today. Only 2 degree C when I left Grants Pass this morning after having breakfast at the stop of choice for me while on the road, McDs.

Bike has been running well. Likes 3400 RPM at 65 MPH. Nice speed for the bike and for me - comfortable cruising.

Will update later. Cheers

Wave at exit 36 in Washington state when you drive home! I'll be saying hello!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Day 2 started well, just a bit cool at 2 deg C in Grants Pass. After leaving Grants Pass had a lovely ride through the mountains and into Redding CA. Here is the morning out of Grants Pass:
Leaving Grants Pass.jpg
Clouds were coming in but the distance was clear and inviting. Bike is running well, no worries and enjoying the ride. Lots of good scenery as I rode. Here is Mount Shasta, a very spectacular sight:
Mount Shasta.jpg
Also travelling between 3000 to 4000 feet.

Fuel economy so far - nice to know and lets one know how the bike is operating.

IMPG/USMPG

45.67/38.03
46.12/38.4
47.04/39.18
44.66/37.19
50.33/41.91

Bike appears to be operating well, can't complain.

This was the good news, now for the challenge of touring on any bike. Got into Redding, CA, filled up, and back on the road again. Didn't get far as the alternator light came on - not charging. Pulled off the highway, took off the lower left fairing checked the wiring at the alternator, and checked the belt - all good. Never bring enough troubleshooting gear - note to self about next time. Had it towed to the local Honda dealer, it is a bit out of its league regarding this mod, but not a lot I can do.

They removed the alternator then sent it to the local NAPA store to get a replacement, but since I do not know what car it came off, NAPA and even the local alt places can't help. everyone wants to know what it came from - I don't know.

Note to the collective, if you travel with the alt mod/poorboy conversion, have this info with you - will help.

Did some perusal of the various forums and found info on a car alt - 1988 firefly turbo and one will be here tomorrow. Need to get back on the road. The trials of touring.

All will work out. Have been talking with Dan, very supportive and gives me a bit of a vent regarding my plight - much appreciated. Glad it's an external alternator. The shop fellow asked if I wanted a new stator put in, I respectfully declined at this time.

One of the issues I have with this waiting game is the second guessing I do with respect to did I check enough. Occupies my thoughts quite a bit right now.

Have a Plan B and C.

More later. Cheers

Nice pictures though!! :music: Can't be too enthusiastic, pushing a dealer is like pushing a rope uphill and they can be difficult if they want to be. Roll with the punches and hope for the best.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196720#p196720:13udap9e said:
Rednaxs60 » Today, 8:19 am[/url]":13udap9e]
Nice pictures though!! :music: Can't be too enthusiastic, pushing a dealer is like pushing a rope uphill and they can be difficult if they want to be. Roll with the punches and hope for the best.

Cheers
I’m surprised any Honda dealer would touch an aftermarket alternator mod.

Worse comes to worst, charge your battery full and get as far south as you can. I’ll bring my alternator I’m not using and meet up with you.

Perused the forums and threads I had bookmarked - a fellow in Castlegar - RoadRogue - used one from a 1988 Firefly 1.0 litre turbo, foot print is small enough and the connecting points line up and there should only be the two fron ones. These line up as well. May have to have the pulley changed but that is easy. If it has the third connection point at the back of the alternator, I will have it removed.

More to follow.

Update on the alternator repair. The shop was very supportive and extremely helpful in everything. Tim and Steve in the service department couldn't have been better. Tim was a little frustrated yesterday because I did not have the info he needed, but with a browse of the forums came up with a suitable replacement out of a 1998 Firefly 1.0 litre turbo. Once we did that and ordered it we all settled in for the wait. The alternator came in at noon today from NAPA. We had a good look at the footprint and it was the same except that we had to cut off the rear foot as has been detailed in a lot of alt conversions. Will have to do some modification when I get home to make everything fit properly, but for the short interim, all is well.

They had the alt installed and ready for me before 2:00 PM and I was on the road before 2:30 PM. The bill was also very good considering the time spent at NAPA as well. 2 hours labour and the alt - came in just shy of $370.00 USD. Not complaining, I thought it would be significantly more.

Nice ride from Redding; except I hit Sacramento at rush hour, slowed my progress down significantly. 356 miles in 7 1/2 hours - good progress. Tried doing the Iron Butt but a call to Dan and we arranged an alternate meet in Gorman for 0900.

No pictures but a good day considering. The guys at Lee's Honda went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of and this being a surprise visit to their shop.

Will post my thoughts on my time spent at Lee's Honda in Redding.

More to follow.

Cheers

Wish I'd seen this sooner. I don't know if it would have helped, but I used a Geo Metro alternator on my 84 Aspy some years ago. It also needed an ear cut off.

Great that you weathered the storm and are motoring on. Looking forward to photos of the group in their native habitat. On the road.