Am i reading this right>>>

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Reaction score
Could someone tell me if i am reading this correctly and if i am, will this work on my 83 interstate? :beg:

https://www.allbikebrakes.com/products/B ... d1983.html

WOW !!!

If that is correct, you can get front and rear brake line kit for $74.00 plus shipping.... :rocks:

Please somebody tell me this will work on my bike, if so, i will order it so quick it will make their head spin !!!! :grin:

Thanks,
Keith

Just got it back today... :party:

Finally fount someone who knew what they where doing and got it put in for $125.00. I didn't think it was that bad. Plus he did a few extras for me at no charge. Great Guy !!!

He tried to bleed brakes out for me also, but he had no luck as well... So we have come to the conclusion that i should start with the brake lines first..

I think thats where I got mine.
But I called them and I thought they had to custom make them for an 83 interstate,(differant from aspy)Same price though.

Pony Ruiz":ehp9fahy said:
what is your opinion of the lines?
Pony, notice that they offer two lines of stainless brake lines. My '81 parts bike came with the cheaper set of the brake lines (PO wrecked the bike right after he did the brakes). I used them on my '82 with the '81 calipers and master cylinder. I recently rebuilt my '82 twin piston calipers and found out the '81 stainless brake lines did not fit the '82 calipers! :crying:

Luckily, I still had the original '82 brake lines and installed them. The difference?....The stainless lines are smaller in diameter, but they make the brakes feel a lot stiffer! The original rubber '82 lines are a tad bit softer (not from air in the line...I have great control and the handle is only traveling slightly further in). Hard to explain other than the stainless lines felt like I had immediate direct control of the calipers.

IMHO they work very well, but I do like the look of the original rubber lines (just old fashioned I guess).

McG,

interesting. I did notice there are two - what is up with that? One is a delux version - just better not necessarily different size>?

So how do the lines not fit? Too long/short? The banjo bolts are the same I presume. The stainless lines I've had were smaller in diameter...

Did they make the lever feel more stiff or the brakes?

I have 81 calipers I might rebuild, but I need some new pistons. Then again I might go for some 82 dual pistons that don't need rebuilding.

Thanks

The ends of the brake lines are angled 45 degrees. The '81's are angled one way, the '82's are angled the other way. Tried to end for end them and they still did not fit.

They made the lever feel more stiff which is different from the stretch of the rubber lines (ever so slight).

Be careful which front brakes you use. here is what I learned from my swapping of parts:

*The '81 solid rotors are thicker than the '82 vented rotors by almost 1.5MM.....this creates fit issues with the different calipers lining up on center
*The '81 single piston calipers use different pads than the two piston '82's. The '81 pads are much deeper and use the whole rotor
*The '82 twin piston cailpers use longer pads and grab the rotor by their length ...not by depth like the '81's. I used '81 cailpers with '82 vented rotors and the '81 pads override the vents causing excessive wear on the pads and ultimately warped my '82 rotors.

If I learned any lesson from all of this...I no longer believe that all '80 thru '83 parts are as interchangeable as many people have been told. On Ebay, you often see anything GL1100 listed "fits '80 thru '83". It might "FIT" by bolting up, but is does not mean it is correct nor will it work correctly in the long run.

McG,

I see what you mean. Well, I should probably just stick with my 81's, but I am bidding on some 82 interstates right now. I am the sole bidder - $3 over the asking price. Doh!

If I have an 82 caliper and and 82 rotor that bolts on - would that work I wonder.
The setup I saw on a naked bike was an 82 caliper with vented rotors. Felt good when you pulled on the lever i.e. tight/solid/like they were going to stop you right now. I didn't ride the bike however...

Do you know if the 82 interstate has different rotors than the 80-81? I have 3 sets of 80-1 rotors...

thanks for the heads up.

yes the 82s are different ....the 80-81 with steel braided lines are good brakes ....the difference is not that great between the two ...but on my 83 i have 80-81 rotors which i think are better than the 82 and 83 rotors .....on the 83 theres a metal shim and a parper gaskit that had to be removed for it to line up ...in my opinion the 80-81 one peice rotors are the best ...i think the 82 are one peice with slots cut in ....it would seem the 80-81 rotors will have no problems with 82 calipers the 83 calipers are different from side to side as in larger pistons and smaller piston cause of the linked brake system ....im not sure what your going for pony need a little more info on what you got as a starting point what yr bike if its 83 theres some problems with switching calipers from another yr. feed me more info

Sorry,I guess I wasnt paying attention.

I have been vrey happy with mine.The fit was perfect except the threads on the left line where wrong.I called.and they made me another line and shipped it out right away.They perform great,but then again my stock line where shot.

As for the old school look,I orderd them with the dark smoke viynle coating so they didnt stand out so much.

JoeD,

Well, my forks are from an 80. I have some 80 or 81 calipers. I had a 81 parts bike so some stuff got mixed up.

I was going to rebuild the calipers - but the pistons are all rusty. I thought if I am rebuilding might as well get some new pistons - I already have the kits. Then my thought was to get a dual piston set (after I saw sunnbobb's setup ngw) that already worked and use that. maybe the same $ as rebuilding. Then I would rebuild the 81 set at my leisure. Distractions, distractions

If 82 calipers work with 80-1 rotors I'm good. I just checked - someone is outbidding me on these
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123
so maybe I'm back to square one. calipers and m/c - it was a good deal.......I could bid up but not sure I want to now.

okay pony ithink the 82 would work on the 80-81 rotros ...with the only mod being maybe to shim the calipers from the forks...if im remembering right .....if you are back to square one the 80-81.....the dual piston calipers are not that huge an upgrade people make to much of that .....the 80-81 calipers are my favorite nrakes and respon to the steel beaided brake lines even better than the 82s will as they the 80-81 have bigger piston that rquire more pressure and the pads cover more of the rotor in a more even way ...the rotors are thicker and tougher,,,im not a fan of drilling perfectly good rotors that are hard to replace to say the least like many do ....the best mod one can do in my opinion is to run dual lines from the front master cylinder to the front wheel with steel braided lines .....if it was me thats what id do if i was going to spend money on my brake system some pistons and dual lines ......

as for bleeding when you get the lines hooked up and before calipers are installed on forks and rotors clamp the pistons all the way back in the calipers with c clamps and bleed the lines or fill the lines all the way to the calipers with the bleeders straight up ....then install pads and mount to forks and rotors ,,,this usealy works perfect for getting all the air out .....in this condition the 80-81 brakes are super good and plenty for our wings for safe stopping .....if i remeber right you can buy three sets of back brakes for your for your 80-81 as the pads are thicker than the front and will fit the front too i think ...i might be wrong there its been awhile since i did it......well i think thats all the opinion i have :hihihi: :hihihi: good luck pony on the brakes :mrgreen:

Pony, I'm not sure what will fit what but just wanted to point out that ebay ad says '82-83 and that can't be because '83's are linked to the rear. The set shown is a pre-linked set.

Joe thanks for all the advice!
Thanks to everyone else for their input as well.

I think I am going to stick with the 80-81's.
with the two lines going to the m/c.

I put 80-81 on my 78 and they work fine. Only thing I think the old lines are having an effect.

I bled them and then bled them some more with speed bleeders - and they still don't seem quite right. That bike might get some stainless before my project.

The pistons in the 80 calipers I am planning on rebuilding were rusted and I had to pump them to get them out of the caliper. They weren't too bad on the part that goes inside the caliper. When do you decide to get new ones? I usually think better to get new ones out the gate, but if they are re-usable I might just polish them up.

I will be back when I start working on these - I am sure of that.

thanks again guys!

Pony