Newbie error when changing brake pads on 86 aspencade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glkm

Reaction score
Well, I thought I read the book thoroughly before I started, but I missed one small very significant detail. I pulled the caliper off my front left (front brakes needed a lot of pressure to stop at slow speed). I had a previous fork seal leak (which I fixed with new seals and progressive coils) which coated my front left rotor and pads. Pulled the pads and they were almost down to metal - pistons out about an inch or so. I bought new pads, used a c-clamp to push the pistons back in and heard a very high pitched noise from the top of the bike, then all of a sudden a release and my plastic window in my master cylinder was bouncing off my RV side. :doh:
I had neglected to take the top off the MC or open the bleeder valve at the caliper. Found out that that window is not replaceable, so just pushed it back in, finished the pad swap, refilled the MC, cleaned all the brake fluid off the MC and tried the lever. Very quickly it became firm so I kept squeezing the handle as hard a I could to see if and when the plastic window would pop out again. Nothing, no leaks. I am flummoxed. :headscratch:
Does anyone know why? Any idea if I am totally :sensored:? Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have any advise?

Thanks in advance - Gavin

I can understand the window popping out without taking the cover off. Fluid going back into the master cylinder had no other place to go. I'm surprised though after popping it back in it doesn't leak.
I'd run with it keeping an eye for leaks.

The plastic window is in the reservoir, which simply stores the fluid and is not under any pressure. When you squeeze the lever, the pressure is in the lines and calipers, not in the reservoir. Hopefully it won't leak, and you'll be fine. Replacement reservoirs are available if it does start to leak.

Dan and Steve thanks for your reply. I will be keeping a constant eye on that little now fairly opaque plastic. I had thought of swapping it out with my 1980 reservoir, however no leaks yet. :thanks:

Gavin

it seemed the regular red all purpose pvc glue did the trick .... i am very surprised it work ... its been working over a year ... i thought the brake fluid would eat the plastic up but hasnt done a thing to it ... i made the cap to fit rather tight .. i think using a file as final shaping ...and just used the glue on the outside at edge to melt in and seal any defects in the edge of the fit ... not much at all

:cool: thanks. I will keep that in mind if this old semi-clear plastic decides to leak. Gavin :thank_you: