Shinko 230 Tourmaster performance reports

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191880#p191880:2eie2jlt said:
dan filipi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:14 pm[/url]":2eie2jlt]
Love the plate!
+1
And just 4 1/2 years ago I had no idea what it stood for. :smilie_happy:

Read through the thread because I will be installing the tourmaster tires on my second '85 LTD - great information. I have Michelin Commander II tires on my '85 LTD here in Victoria with 25,000 Kms on them and not hitting the wear bars yet. Keep my tires at 40 PSI and use Ride On tire sealant and balancing formula.

Have looked at the load ratings for the tourmaster tires. The front tire is the same load rating as the Michelin at 67 (307 KG/677 lbs). The rear tire load rating is 80 (450 Kg/992 lbs). The Michelin load rating for the rear is 74 (375 Kg/827 lbs). Will take tread depth and see how these tourmaster tires wear after the trip from Ontario to British Columbia. Will be using Ride On tire sealant and balancing formula as well and inflate to 40 PSI.

Soapbox time - old bike old suspension. Have upgraded the suspension on my '85 LTD here in Victoria to Race Tech springs and gold valves front and Progressive non-air shocks in the rear. Attribute some of the tire longevity to this as well. The bike in Ontario is suppose to have been upgraded with Progressive fork springs and the rear shock were apparently rebuilt - PO provided the invoices for this work. Won't have time to confirm this work before the trip but will when I get the bike back to Victoria. Strong belief that a good suspension is also a key element in tire longevity.

I also think the '85 LTD and the '86 SEi are the heaviest of the 1200 models. If these tourmaster tires wear as good as the Michelin tires have, will also put a set on the bike here in Victoria.

More to follow. Cheers

I doubt they will wear anywhere near as well as the commander II's. I've currently put on about 6k miles on the rear commander tire and I see minimal wear. It's still relatively round as well. I think I'll get 12k-15k out of it if they keep wearing like this. One of our trips was the same as the one that ate the Shinkos in 3k miles with an additional 3 days worth of touring in the mountains.

I bought the commander as a reaction to the short life I got from the rear shinko and they do wear like iron. Downside is there is quite a bit less grip. Not a problem in normal riding at all but with our insurance costs I only plate one bike at a time. As a result i end up sometimes going into the twisties with my Sport Touring riding friends (Ducati, VFR, etc) and I have to push the goldwing really really hard to try to keep up. This is when I notice the difference in grip between the Shinko and the Commander II. With the Shinko I was hitting the limit of the chassis, with the Commander it's the tire starting to let go. It's not something I notice in normal riding.

Once the commander wears out, which could be a while, I think I'll try an Avon Cobra in the rear to match the one I'm currently running in the front. It won't wear as long as the commander but does have more grip. I wish there were more tires available in these sizes. Id love to try Bridgestone t30 evo's in the GT version.

For those of you running tire shmoo/balancer/sealer. How big a mess is it when you change tires?

Jorg