Dunlop Elite 3 performance reports...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll start a thread on this tire...

As you all know I'm running them on my 1500. Mileage to date is unknown, they were near new when I got the bike and I've put about 3,100 miles on them already. They still look new with some remaining whiskers on the front tire. I didn't have much faith in Dunlops because of how quickly the D404s wore out on my 1100(old girlfriend). I'm happy to report these tires are really holding up well, I see no difference in the tread depth from the day I got to bike through today. There is an issue with noise... I thought I had a bearing going out in the rear wheel because it sounds like a UFO is chasing me during deceleration. I had a conversation with Dan a few days ago and to my relief he told me he had the same experience riding a bike with the E3s. This tire feels rock solid at all times, giving me a real sense of confidence while on the road. I'll update in this thread as the tires wear, the roads here in Vegas are rough and hot. Lastly I'm a year round rider in all weather conditions, I only don't set out to ride in rain but get caught in it once in a while.

~O~

I'm having the same experience with the E3's on my 1500. (the one that Dan told you about and the one he rode to Joe's). I had them put on when I bought the bike about 7,000 miles ago and they still look almost new. I wasn't a big fan of Dunlop either but they were all I could get at the time and place. I guess I have ridden it so much that I don't notice the noise.
The ride isn't as smooth as my other 1500 that has Michelin radials but you can't get them anymore.
Dan also thought the Metzeler 880's on the 1100 were noisy and I agree they are but it doesn't really bother me that much.
Both the E3's and the Metzeler's handle well but the radials took a little getting used to.

i'm on my second set of e3's and this set is noisier that the last set. run them at 38psi front and 42 psi rear otherwise your 1500 will feel mushy. the first set of e3's were on the wing when i got it but i put another 12,000 miles on them and wore the wear bars off the front tire, it didn't stick like a new tire but i wasn't all over the road either. they do very well in rain also

Yes I to am on my second set of E3s.The first set I replaced at 16,000 do to a spike I picked up in the road.I am at 20,000 on the second set and still plenty to go.
They do hum a bit but handle and wear great and I also am happy with them in the rain as well as grates and tar snakes.

I was far less impressed with the E2s/491 it came with.(The 404s should not be used on any touring bike)

Just put fresh E3s on my 1100I. 22,000 miles on the rear, 24,000 on the front, still had room to the wear bars, but better safe that slippery.