Dunlop 404's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigAndrew":2pd7yn6i said:
How much did they run you? I spent a fortune on my sport bike radial tires

I didn't know you could run radials on these old bikes.
I have the 404's on my bike also and I like them. I bought the front from a local shop last year and I just got the rear a couple of months ago from Dennis Kirk. It was on sale $72.99 shipped to my house. https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/se ... Categories

Omega Man":17uyi5n2 said:
I have a set on my 82 Interstate and highly recommend them.

~O~

That is the wrong tire for that bike.
The weight carrying capabilty for the 404 on the 82-83 wings is way under what it should be.The 404 is fine for the 80-81s

If a dunlop is what you like then I suggest the 491 if you can still get it or the new E3s.Thats what I have and I love them.

Check this link for specs https://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com

The weight carring of the rear E3 is 930 pounds
The weight carring of the 404 is 760 pounds

Although these numbers arent much differant for the 80-81s,the swing arm is closer on the 82-83s and YOU WILL HAVE RUBBING on the sidewall of the tire.Especially if you run 2 up.

I had an issue on a 404 and noticed a rub mark at about 500 miles.Fortunitly I met a nice couple at an ice cream shop that had the same issue on there 83,after blowing out the second one (luckily they brought it to a stop with out injury) they forced the tire shop that kept putting them on to investigate a bit further,dunlop said DONT DO THAT! The shop repaired the minor damage on the bike and they went to the E3 and passed that info on to me before I had to learn the hard way.

I started doing the math.
Bike 850lbs wet
Me 270lbs (dont say it)
wife 150lbs
gear 50lbs
total 1270lbs
devide by 2 635lbs

And I know the bike is not 50/50 weight front to back,and that doesnt include the trailor.(Or chrome :lol: )

kah92340":29m2pdjx said:
BigAndrew":29m2pdjx said:

I didn't know you could run radials on these old bikes. https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/se ... Categories

You are correct.If a bike didnt come with radials it is recomended that you stay with biasply.At least acording to Stu Otteman,Technical editer Wing World,GWRRA
1000s-1500s biasply
1800s radial

Tory":3itulos5 said:
kah92340":3itulos5 said:
BigAndrew":3itulos5 said:

I didn't know you could run radials on these old bikes. https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search/se ... Categories

You are correct.If a bike didnt come with radials it is recomended that you stay with biasply.At least acording to Stu Otteman,Technical editer Wing World,GWRRA
1000s-1500s biasply
1800s radial
I agree! Radials are for radial tuned suspension only! The forks and shocks are designed for bias ply tires.

mcgovern61":1ottxvyy said:
I agree! Radials are for radial tuned suspension only! The forks and shocks are designed for bias ply tires.

As a liability disclaimer for myself and the forum I say the same BUT there are many guys running radials (a couple here) on their bias ply Gold Wing and loving the improvement it makes in handling.

I haven't researched what COULD happen with radials on our bike and haven't tried it (yet) but after reading nothing but good about it I plan to before buying my next tires.

And of course an editor of a magazine will say that, follow the money. They don't want to get sued any more than the next guy.

I cannot speak for the bike, but I had a 1969 Ford LTD wagon that was coil spring suspension and bias ply tires. In 1979, we changed them out and put radials on and the car grabbed the road much better! So much so that on a late night running down the road, I was heading into a turn and the tires leaned (the car weighed 4600 lbs) causing the front end to kinda wobble. This was excentuated by the coil springs which caused me to lose control and slide into a curb breaking off both front wheels at the control arms. After repairs, the mechanic laughed at my Dad and I and wanted to know "what idiot put radials on this car". When asked why, he replied that "radials can roll under themselves with this suspension, you can only use them on cars with McPherson struts."

We changed back to bias ply and did not have any more trouble.

dan filipi":3o2izwgg said:
And of course an editor of a magazine will say that, follow the money. They don't want to get sued any more than the next guy.

That is true,but stu is also very into older jap bikes.And is a very involved member of the VJMOG under the alias of BIKEGEEZER (Vintage Japenese Motorcycles Owners Group) Witch is where this topic digusted before,that is where I have seen his opinion,as well as many others.But yes,it has been brought up many times in Wing World also. About once every other month to be exact.
Dont get me wrong,I am not promoting WING WORLD,its gotten to be 10 months of wing ding future,and 2 months of wing ding past,I am more of a ROAD RUNNER and MOTORCYCLE CLASSICS reader.
I will stick with my E3s they have been performing wonderfully.

https://vjmog.com

tires are a cazy thing and so is the envirment of where you live right now in indiana where i live the standard tires recommended for my bike will get you down on the ground there way to skinny for gravel roads especialy on the front .....it insane to fight the bike with all the gravel roads i travel and the immeadient danger of running off the road on either side strait into a rock hill or montain or over the clift....its the most dangerest part of my riding....i need tires right now and i have a 130 70 radial on the front and im going to put the widest tire i can get between the forks with the fender off im thinking at least 140 90 and maybe a 150 80 if it will fit this wiil most likely be a rear tire and bias and i know this is going to hurt the cornering a lot ....but i can deal with this danger better than the danger of the gravel roads ive been down on the gravel road before with a broken collar bone result ....600 pound bike and skinny tires is no marvel of engineering its just dangerous......im going to put the fattest tire i can on the front even if i have to make my own fender......i have plenty of common sense about my ride and envirment that trumps standard condition engineering

im not against or for anything ....common sense ranks right there with any engineering....

Sounds like you need knobbys down there, :smilie_happy
You diffinatly ride in a unique inviroment compared to what these wings where intended for.And I believe you have the engineering capabilty to handle what needs to be done to acomadate you specific needs.