Well, That was Progressive!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianinpa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my bike in 2010 and one of the PO's did me a favor. He installed Progressive 412's on the rear and until January of this year, I didn't know it, but he also installed Progressive Springs in the forks. Well over the past 4 years the 412's have been performing flawlessly for me. Anyone who has met me knows I haven't missed too many meals. I weigh in at 270 pounds +/- 5 to 10 pounds depending on if I am wearing the winter coat or not. So when I am riding the bike by myself, I am tickling the lower level of the weight limit. When I am two-up with my wife (don't tell her I said this) or loaded with the camping gear, I am overloaded. Even still, I have never bottomed out the suspension.

Well this past winter I noticed this:
IMG_20140513_185354_283.jpg

I thought it was time for a new set of shocks but decided to look into if there was a replacement. Nothing on Progressive's website... but, I was reading about some replacement urethane bushing. Still nothing came up for a place to buy them so I called Progressive. Turns out, they are the only supplier for these:
IMG_20140513_185937_343.jpg

IMG_20140513_185957_272.jpg

I had to use some creative means to remove the rubber bushings that weren't blown out, but getting the urethane bushing back in only required some spray lubricant and a couple twists of the vise handle. The bigger the vise, the better!

IMG_20140513_193707_179.jpg

Since buying the bike I've put just shy of 40K miles on the bike and there is no way of knowing when these shocks were originally put on the bike, but I am pretty sure that with this improvement I am ready for another 5 years for sure.

Oh yeah the important part... $2.50 each.

So I wanted to add to this thread since I am modifying these 412 shocks to work on an 1100 frame with a 1200 swingarm.

The 1100 calls for part number 412-4222C
The 1200 calls for part number 412-4226C

The difference between the two is the length of the dampener (1100 is shorter). As it turns out, the only thing I needed to make the 412-4222C's that I have work, is a larger size ID metal sleeve that will accept the larger diameter bolt for the 1200 swingarm. How did I find all of this out? Simple! On Progressive's website it shows it:

Capture.JPG

They were helpful enough and to the point where they could tell me exactly what parts I needed to convert the lower end of the shock to fit the 1200 swingarm. Yesterday the parts arrived:

Notice that these are the same as the ones above?

These are the difference!

As far as price goes... well I am not sure as they haven't hit my credit card yet, but it was quoted about $7 plus postage.

They will sell my shop any parts for the shocks, :yes: but not any fork springs. :whistling: Go to your local dealer is their response. Guess because no special tools or rig of any sort is needed to do the forks, :headscratch: unlike the shocks. :roll: