rear lights

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozenpoet

Reaction score
O the joys of figuring out what someone else did. :crying: :head bang:

So, there rear lights on the bike have been having issues, turn signals not really working, brake lights not working correctly, sometimes the running lights would work, sometimes not, fun stuff.

I figured out the brake light issue (on the main center lights anyway) the switch on the foot brake was seized, so the lights where staying on.

I know I need a new bulb on the right side blinker, but the left side was fine, but after pulling the harnesses apart and hitting them with electrical contact cleaner the other side stopped working. :head bang: :sensored:

In the course of things I pulled the trunk off and found a mess of wires, my gl1200 started life as a standard and someone added the bags, and wired them up just to kinda of work...

Not the worst job in the world, but I hate those connectors :rant:

There is also a wire that is run down the wire loom and comes out at the fuse block on top of the air filter box, there is only one ring that I'm guessing is for the positive side (power side) anyone know what that is for?

Good reason to hate them, they have been used on so many things and have cause equal number of problems. When I need to but wires I normally solder them and put shrink tubing over the solder joint. Does seem like you have a bit of a mess.

After unplugging and replugging stuff, poking around I have the rear turn signals and running lights on the saddle bags. Are the bags supposed to be brake lights as well?

That mystery wire is still a mystery, it looking like it runs down the loom and goes into the flasher relay...I think that's what it is, it's held in a little rubber boot just behind the gas tank under the seat.

Side rear lights are not normally brake lights on bags or not. Some have converted their lights to include them as brake lights.

That mystery wire is still a mystery, it looking like it runs down the loom and goes into the flasher relay...I think that's what it is, it's held in a little rubber boot just behind the gas tank under the seat.

That is the turn signal flasher, it is a three wire flasher. I would guess if he has a wire running to it is because one wire is open somewhere. Question, does your horn's work, the horns are on the same positive circuit.

I was surprised to see the electronic flasher myself. This might not be the original harness either, it's kind of hard to say at this point.