High Output Stator

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA-wing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, today I was checking out a charging issue with a fluctuating voltage output. Couple of weeks ago, checked the stator and it passed all tests, went to clean the connector on the R/R and checked voltage again and found that the voltage has quit fluctuating. As a matter of fact it has quit charging period. Voltage is a constant 11.5 volts. Checked the 3 yellow wires again and lo and behold, I have a shorted winding. So it looks like time for a new stator. Been checking around and it looks like $30 - $75 for used or $100 - $150 for new. Since I've got to pull the engine to replace it, I'm going to go ahead and spring for a new 350W stator @ $129. Anyone have any experience with the higher output stators? I also figure that I will go ahead and change the clutch while I'm in there.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with them other than what I've read on the forums.
What I have read is it seems reliability is pretty mixed.
It seems the most reliable is Honda OEM.
When buying an aftermarket I believe they recommend buying a matching reg/rectifier, especially so with the higher output stators, 330 watt.
Which stator are you looking at?

I searched Fleabay. What I'm looking at is this Electro Sport ESG060 350 watt stator.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1438.l2649

It carrys a 1 year warranty. I figured I would go ahead and upgrade the rectifier/regulator also. I know that between the stator and the upgraded r/r I'm looking at about $240 plus the clutch. I love my girl and want to make her feel better so we can get back to doing what we both love to do.

I looked hard at this because I try to keep my bikes as close to original as I can and if I can get more wattage in the process, otherwise I would probably go ahead and to the Poboy alternator conversion.

littlebeaver":26mvjwe8 said:
What makes a stator short out like that.?
Usually a broken wire or the laquer insulation failed.

Good onya Steve to be our guinea pig on this issue. I expect a nice how to with reports of performance to follow. :good:

slabghost":1e3rdsq8 said:
littlebeaver":1e3rdsq8 said:
What makes a stator short out like that.?
Usually a broken wire or the laquer insulation failed.

Good onya Steve to be our guinea pig on this issue. I expect a nice how to with reports of performance to follow. :good:

Well, it's kinda like upsetting the balance of the universe. The stator is a 3 phase unit and if you drop a phase, usually due to a bad connection or open diode in the regulator, will cause excessive current draw on the remaining windings which causes too much heat, which causes the laquer insulation to cook off the copper wiring in the winding and then you have a short or it will burn open the winding.

As its been stated previously, the charging system is anemic and is barely able to keep up with the standard lighting and other electrical loads that was designed into the bike. Any accessories that are added increases the load or wattage required. When I got the bike, one of the things I found was 2 boxes of 30 fuses in the hard bags......hmmmmmm....my Spidie sense was buzzing. Under closer inspection, I found where the 30 amp fuses were being used, THE FRIGGIN' LIGHTING CIRCUIT! In going through the lighting circuit, I discovered a hack job had been done to the wiring harness under the seat and someone had added aux lighting to the Trunk. Found and repaired the connection that was shorting out occasionally in the trunk causing the fuse to blow. I then went through and removed the trailer lighting and other gack the PO had installed. I also replaced all the lights I could to LED to lighten the load on the system, but evidently damage had already been done. I have been able to limp by for a couple of years before it finally let go.

Right now I have one bike torn down in my garage in restoration so I have to get that one back together before I pull the engine on the Wing. I'm gonna order the new stator, regulator and clutch parts which will give me a couple of weeks to get the other bike together.

Once I start, I will do my best to document and take pictures of what I do and what the end results are.

Thanks to everyone who have posted to the site, I have learned a lot.

Steve

Thanks... I wish to learn all I can on this subject..I really want to look at one of these stator up close and personal.. If it was made by man it can be fixed by a Caveman is what I say... :smilie_happy:

Absolutly good info. That's the stator I was looking at. I'll investigate further options. The rewinder is a couple of hundred miles away from me. I'll be in Birmingham in a couple of weeks when I go to Barber's Vintage Festival.

dan filipi":tjlr4t2c said:
Some good info there.
I really like that guy, he even gave permission to copy his post, Now How cool is that...What a great guy that is..

Fantastic info and well presented. The poorboy is starting to look like more of an option for me since I, like many northern riders, would like to run some heated gear.

I called and spoke with the owner of Custom Rewind in Birmingham, AL today and ordered a rewound stator. His price was great @ $90 including shipping with no core charge. He had one in stock and would get it out to me tomorrow since I called too late to make the UPS run for today. Once I get it swapped out I'll keep you posted on how things turn out. Thanks again for all the great info.

Steve

SteveA-wing":2y36f03v said:
I called and spoke with the owner of Custom Rewind in Birmingham, AL today and ordered a rewound stator. His price was great @ $90 including shipping with no core charge. He had one in stock and would get it out to me tomorrow since I called too late to make the UPS run for today. Once I get it swapped out I'll keep you posted on how things turn out. Thanks again for all the great info.

Steve
That's great Steve.... I'm sure you will have great results...

SO...I'm wonnerin how Steve's stator replacement went....I read the story about the other guy on the link provided...really good info...gotta make sure the stator windings don't get pinched! I'm looking for a stator now...might go with Rick's...good recommendations for them...

yep thais a good call ive had many rewound motors done and there aparently someone who can beat china with a product if mine gose it will be a home grown that gets my money...great steve :mrgreen: