IGNITION PART.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwbill37841

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I DESIDED TO CHECK MY ing. once more and this is what i found,getting juice on my dyna unit on both sides at once and so i said to my self " self something anin't right." so i took out the dyna and took out that part be hind it broken spring and little pieces from somwhere on it. that may be why shes not running. here are pics.
79goldwing 001.jpg
79goldwing 002.jpg
79goldwing 003.jpg
79goldwing 004.jpg
79goldwing 004.jpg
79goldwing 006.jpg
79goldwing 007.jpg

ok the last two are where i need to resolder a wire on the coils.anybody know where i can find one of theses gadgets please let me know.and how much thanks bill :thanks:

i cant realy tell to much from pics except those bits aint suppose to be there ....are they metal...did the dyna have a rotor that was attachted to the mechainical advance ...more info bill ...more pics on the stuff you took off....of dyna ...dyna rotor ....for sure it needs a spring on one side of the advance

Advance unit needs both sides springs and the rotor for the dyna. Looks like you have both springs. Do you have the rotor also and those pieces? Are they plastic? I think we DO need some more pics and observations.

Joe(or anyone else that knows), are there bushings on the pins that the weights ride on? I ask because there are on automotive ignitions, and those small pieces look like they might be pieces of broken bushings....depending on what they are made of.

AApple":13lytoxz said:
Joe(or anyone else that knows), are there bushings on the pins that the weights ride on? I ask because there are on automotive ignitions, and those small pieces look like they might be pieces of broken bushings....depending on what they are made of.
That's sort of like a plastic isn't it?
I know the parts your talking about.

Wonder if they could be glued back on?
Cept there aren't many glues I would actually trust for such a thing.

ok i put a new sping on it and tryed to set my dyna like it sez bu thest light comes onno matter where its at. non both sides. going to call dyna toomar. don't think that should happen. does anyone have another spark advance? thanks bill

id say your stuck with that one bill ..there hard to come by .....i know of no busching there joel ....im still confused on those pieces ....pics of all the parts bill want pics

ok my dyna is ok,judt had a blown fuse. put new spring in advance i just need to resolder that coil wire and that should be ok right? need to take carbs off agian and recheck everthing and try agian. maybe she'll come to life/ :beg:

:builder: took off front covers and checked timeing marks, right side was about two teeth off so i got that solved, then i tryed to start her no luck :Awe: so off came the carbs agian they were drirty in the sreens and one jet was a little cloged.but this i think is one of my problems anyone else ever have that ? :head bang: that may have been that big backfire i heard :yes: then it got to dark to work so this will have to start agian tomarrow

Attachments

• 79goldwing.jpg
    79goldwing.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 682
yep i seen that before i have a rack of carbs that has two slides like that ....this realy looks like it was done awhile back id say ....your other set of carbs wiil are basicly the same slide and needle exchange the cap also if you can ....being two teeth off like that is cause enough to do that .....you havnt mess with the timing so id say it didnt run before it was with you ...if it did it was bad ....your lucky i think the 79-78 is about the only oldwings that could stand being 2 teeth off without hitting the pistons with the valves.....from here bill id back up now that its timed right and check compression again to make sure its ok and then attack the carbs again .....

well bill ....you mean the timing on the timingbelts is on the marks in the t1 possitions right .....if the timings on the ignition from there is off its becase the valve adjustment was done on the wrong stroke of the number piston

on the on the dyna its the f2 and f1 marks you use to set the moduals up with the light...im think theres a install pics and stuff dyna manual in the gallery bil call me if you need to i might be in im babysitting right now ..the grandson

no problem, i took the carbs off agianmade sure they were clean. set my timeing belt that was off. and all i got was a couple of back fires . now i got my coils off being checked out. the fellow took them to the tec school .and he said he would bet the way it's doeing is i'm 180 out .so if that's the case how do i adjust that?

Well at the coils it should be (left to right) 4, 3, 2, 1. That's looking at the coils while sitting on the bike.

The wiring diagram should help for the points plate and wiring to coils.

image.php

(Wire diagram in the gallery, click image to go there)

View media item 3573