Stator test question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
The Honda manual says that the resistance between the yellow wires should be consistent but it does not give a specific value. My Clymer manual says that the resistance between the yellow wires should be 1.1 ohms and anything significantly lower is a problem. Well, I checked mine yesterday and they are all three at .8 ohms. They are consistent but they are lower than 1.1. Having no experience in electrical matters, I have no idea what significantly lower means. What is a guy to think?

Also, there was no continuity between the wires and ground, so no worries there.

im not sure what all that means either .....but your sator is not shorted out and working ......it might be that meter is off ....if it is charging look into the thread about regulator and rectifier mod where the sator is only called on when there is a load and charges better while ideling this might be the altimate mod for the charging system.......

Andyb":dsao8byv said:
The Honda manual says that the resistance between the yellow wires should be consistent but it does not give a specific value. My Clymer manual says that the resistance between the yellow wires should be 1.1 ohms and anything significantly lower is a problem. Well, I checked mine yesterday and they are all three at .8 ohms. They are consistent but they are lower than 1.1. Having no experience in electrical matters, I have no idea what significantly lower means. What is a guy to think?

Also, there was no continuity between the wires and ground, so no worries there.

andy try the AC test while the bike is running.. check the outputs on an AC meter.
my opinion .8 on all wires shouldn't be a problem as long as all the other tests are ok..

What the test is looking for is lack of continuity (opens) between the windings. There is almost no difference between your readings they are so small. Like Joe says that could be the meter slightly off.

The "new" regulator seems to be the way to go. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=701&p=7371#p7371

Well, the full story is that it is charging fine. About 14.6V or so at 3000 rpm. The battery was sitting at 12.8 when it was not running so I don't think I have a problem there. The reason I was looking into it is that my flashers do not flash when the volts at the battery fall below 13 volts. This happens when I am using my running lights at idle (not a common occurrence as I generally only run them on the highway) and I am turning. I have LED signals and an electronic flasher. But, until I checked it yesterday I was concerned that my stator was going. Now I think I should check the flasher.

I did blow a fuse recently on the flasher when I tried to use them and and I did not have rear signals hooked up. I wonder if I damaged the flasher at the same time.

Andyb":31m0s7hv said:
Well, the full story is that it is charging fine. About 14.6V or so at 3000 rpm. The battery was sitting at 12.8 when it was not running so I don't think I have a problem there. The reason I was looking into it is that my flashers do not flash when the volts at the battery fall below 13 volts. This happens when I am using my running lights at idle (not a common occurrence as I generally only run them on the highway) and I am turning. I have LED signals and an electronic flasher. But, until I checked it yesterday I was concerned that my stator was going. Now I think I should check the flasher.

I did blow a fuse recently on the flasher when I tried to use them and and I did not have rear signals hooked up. I wonder if I damaged the flasher at the same time.

Mine will flash at normal speed with the bike not running and battery voltage just over 12 volts with the key on.

Voltage to the flashers could be low causing the problem.
I've had to replace the fuse block for similar problems, the glass fuses were loose and would get hot.
I would check voltage at the positive wire of the flasher coming from the turn signal switch. Anything more than probably .2-.3 volts difference than battery voltage would indicate a problem.

dan filipi":2ggp747r said:
Andyb":2ggp747r said:

Mine will flash at normal speed with the bike not running and battery voltage just over 12 volts with the key on.

Voltage to the flashers could be low causing the problem.
I've had to replace the fuse block for similar problems, the glass fuses were loose and would get hot.
I would check voltage at the positive wire of the flasher coming from the turn signal switch. Anything more than probably .2-.3 volts difference than battery voltage would indicate a problem.
Thanks. I will check that when I get home.