'84 GL1200 Low speed stumble - IDLE DROP Procedure

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186043#p186043:owfe1z9r said:
Write2Paul90277 » Today, 12:10 pm[/url]":eek:wfe1z9r]
>
THE LOW SPEED STUMBLE IS GONE! posting.php?mode=reply&f=36&t=11934#

Thanks, people for walking me through the idle drop / low speed stumble problem on my 84 Interstate.

You are not going to believe what the problem was:

The idle jet on the #4 carb had FALLEN OUT. No wonder all that excess air was getting sucked in. Apparently when I was at my most confused point in the idle drop fiasco, I lost track of the number of turns on the various pilot screws and #4 must have been totally loose.

Luckily I had a spare pilot screw, spring, washer and o-ring which immediately corrected the problem.
This time I started with 2 ½ turns out on all four carbs, then did a sync and got good results. There was a nice smooth transition from idle, off the line, and transitioning to the primary jets. No more stumbling or bucking! The idle was a bit rough (sort of a loping beat) so I tried 3 turns out and the transition got even smoother.

What a difference! THIS is the Goldwing I know and remember.

Keep in mind that all I did was set all four screws at 3 turns out. I did not actually do the idle drop procedure, since I had previously had no luck in making the idle speed go up or down no matter how many turns in or out. With such smooth throttle control, I am willing to live with a slightly rough idle.

My plan is to leave everything as it is and enjoy the bike once again. Should I feel guilty for skipping the idle drop altogether?

Thanks again everyone.

Paul
Nope dont feel guilty at all... and if you are patient ,and slightly adjust each carb, listening to the idle ,, eventually you will get it running smooth , with no stumble, kind of like the "good old days" of timing a car by ear..lol

Agreed. Idle drop is actually the last step in setting the mix screws. Where you intentionally lean the mixture enough for idle rpm to slow just a bit. Left at highest rpm possible is best in my opinion. As with any procedure or mod. It's your bike and your choice. Synchronizing the carbs is done through adjustment of carb linkage.