How can I fix the flaking pinstripe on my saddlebags?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny4jesus

Reaction score
I have a 1981 Black Interstate and a 1983 Red Aspencade and both have flaking around the pinstripe on the saddle bags, trunk top and side also on the false tank. Is it possiable to fix this with out complete respray ? I would guess no one would have some good one ,ha ha.
But has anyone dealt with this problem?
Thanks
Sonny

Attachments

• Copy of Sonnys Red access. 023.jpg
    Copy of Sonnys Red access. 023.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,344
I believe the stripes are tape. If so. Yes it is possible but not easy. Taped striping can be cut off with a safety razor much like using a straight razor to shave. The slightest mistake will gouge the underlying paint. Once the damaged tape has been removed the area needs feathered (carefully sanded smooth) to the surrounding area. That done. New striping can be applied. Afterward the entire piece should be scuffed dull and a fresh clear applied. Not a job for the faint of heart or impatient but it will look as new this way.
There are alternative ways to improve the look but this is the procedure with the best look in the end.

Okay, this is definitely NOT the professional way, But if you just want to hold it together till you are ready for that pro-repaint Try a little clear nailpolish....I know, I know stop cringing everybody, It will postpone the inevitable and don't look to bad as long as you are judicious in application!

paddy.shadow":8mo1moo7 said:
Okay, this is definitely NOT the professional way, But if you just want to hold it together till you are ready for that pro-repaint Try a little clear nailpolish....I know, I know stop cringing everybody, It will postpone the inevitable and don't look to bad as long as you are judicious in application!
yes that too will work for a while if the area is small.

coming from my knowledge of the 80 wing, the stripes are a tape and on top of the clear coat. Indeed the tape can be razored off. I suggest you take a little lacquer thinner and wipe the tape with it first, it will shave a lot easier. Once the stripe is shaved off, you will have to clean off the residual glue, again with lacquer thinner on a cotton rag. You can then use a little rubbing compound and wax to bring the overall finish back up; however this will leave you without any striping. You could find yourself someone versed in pin striping or go to an auto store and you can get rolls of stick on striping. Short and fast cure actually would be the clear nail polish route which would only help to retard any more peeling of the tape. If the tape is actually under the clear coat and is peeling/degrading you've got a bigger problem, your clear coat is failing and only way to fix the overall would be a repaint. ....... actually, thinking about it, if the case is tape/stripe under clear coat failing, you could also wet sand/prep bags, hand touch in missing stripe and put a fresh coat of clear on top, let cure, buff and polish ......

just a omission left out of first reply, when removing residual glue left by tape, wet down with lacquer thinner as said but you can use the razor blade again to help remove glue, be careful, too much working with the lacquer thinner might soften the finish .... Crowe

On my 83 it seems like there's clearcoat on top of the stripes & it's peeling BAD! I've just been scraping off the flaking bits with my fingernail a little at a time.....

The stripe mother Honda put on had a clear tape over the striping. It is this clear tape that is deteriorating.
Auto zone sells tape that exactly matches the gl1100's.
It is
R32010GAT BRT. GOLD MET.
5/16' x 40'

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134145#p134145:magamhu0 said:
wilcoy02 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 pm[/url]":magamhu0]
The stripe mother Honda put on had a clear tape over the striping. It is this clear tape that is deteriorating.
It is
R32010GAT BRT. GOLD MET.
5/16' x 40'
Great info!! :thanks:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134145#p134145:37njyf0m said:
wilcoy02 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm[/url]":37njyf0m]
It is
R32010GAT BRT. GOLD MET.
5/16' x 40'
Thats good info. Thanks .
sonny <///><

On the Aspencades they get the 2 tone paint job by placing a filter over the base color. I believe that the striping was part of the filter. They then sprayed multiple coats of clear over all of it. I toured the factory in Marysville,Ohio and saw them built back in 83.

If any pinstriping is on top of the clear coat, NAPA sells a rubber wheel that you put in a cordless drill that "buffs" the stripes or decals off without hurting the clear, Use a slow speed, This will take off the decals like the cage dealers use, Charlie