90 degree screwdriver

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heath

Reaction score
As I'm going to buying one soon I wanted to have everyone put their input in and give recommendations or not on any of the numerous carb adjusting 90 degree screwdrivers available.

I've been thinking of one of the following unless someone can recommend another.

https://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0229/ Nice but expensive

https://www.carbtune.co.uk/bevel.html nice and lots of expansion

I like to keep things tuned up so I would probably use it more than once a season. But do we really need this good or can we get by with something less expensive. I would imagine a lot here have one of these or have been thru a few of them and have good and bad recommendations. It would be nice to put these things together in one spot so newbies and experienced mechanics alike can get our thoughts and info to help them decide which one would work for them. We could make a topic for each specialty tool we use.

Heath

scdmarx":ln487s46 said:
I adjusted my carbs and didn't ever think to reach for a 90 degree screw driver. I don't think you need it for the wing.
How did you turn the idle jets?
I needed a 90 degree mostly because the engine is too hot.

I don't have anything like that (but they are real cool tools! :lust: :yes: )

I confess........I have'nt adjusted my idle jets ever. :Doh2: (Thats okay.......I'll go sit in the corner until my punishment is over) :smilie_happy:

I just happened to do the idle adjust and sync this weekend. I used one like this
AK2104.jpg

I cut down the hex end to the minimum length and used a flex carb screwdriver to turn it. It worked but was kind of fiddley.
I just set my pilots to 3 1/2 turns out and left it at that. Did the carb sync and she runs very smooth now. Much better at cold start as well.

backlander":fmhpwh6e said:
:blush: me neither. We might need a bench for that corner, looks like it's filling up fast. Maybe two benches. :hihihi:

We'll call them the bench W gang. :wave:

I didn't mess with it because the manual stated they are set at the factory and there's no need to mess it up unless you replaced it. So I left it be and just did the sync. Think I should mess with it? :read:

:music2: "I'm sittin here, I mean I'm just sittin here, on da Group "W" bench, 'cause you wanna know if I'm moral enough to join the Army, burn women, kids, houses and villages after being a litterbugggg???"
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Move ever fellers...I'm headed to the Group W bench meself. I've seen tools like these, but have never really needed one....and apparently, I still don't need one...

Well for me it's not a _need_ thing. Luckily if always found a use for every tool I've bought, sometimes for the oddest jobs. Right now I'm eyeing this little unit.
8414625.jpg

A chain drive offset ratchet. Neato!

scdmarx":1lzw7g29 said:
backlander":1lzw7g29 said:
:blush: me neither. We might need a bench for that corner, looks like it's filling up fast. Maybe two benches. :hihihi:

We'll call them the bench W gang. :wave:

I didn't mess with it because the manual stated they are set at the factory and there's no need to mess it up unless you replaced it. So I left it be and just did the sync. Think I should mess with it? :read:
Yeah.....ME TOO........What he said!!!...........(Can I get off the bench now??) :smilie_happy:

If air / fuel mixture screws are removed for carb cleaning they "need" reset beyond the books basic setting. 3 1/2 turns out is just a point where the motor runs. I don't think the idle drop adjustment is needed but it should be leaned beyond the basic setting.
:good:

89-300ce":2qf80yo0 said:
Well for me it's not a _need_ thing. Luckily if always found a use for every tool I've bought, sometimes for the oddest jobs. Right now I'm eyeing this little unit.

A chain drive offset ratchet. Neato!

I wonder if they make something like this with a torque multiplier in it?

I wonder how Honda did it. I don't mean what they wrote in the manual but how they did it on the assembly line. I can't imagine some guy doing the idle drop and sync on the assembly line.