shock treatment to cooling

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well on hooch if coils were moved there lots of room im hoping upstairs there for smaller gm altinator ..a friend is suppose to bring one over with a few car belt tensioners ...be nice if i didnt have to move radiator ....you can sort of look at the frame pic and see this might work

pics
image.php

this shows what im looking to have ...3" pulley slap up against crank pulley .....the other pulley on ground is a bearing pulley i might use as tensioner pulley...

image.php

this pic show the belts and all after good 10,000 plus miles belts look good and tension nice ..you can also tell i dont use honda spring adjusters for belts ....plan is to have 2 1/2" pulley on altinator .... pretty much just a mock up ..ill have to sleeve this pulley after taking bearing out of it to get it the right size .. you can see the pulley has a hole in it ... be ver easy to pin the pulley to crank pulley to releave all load on crank bolt :builder: :thanks:

Having to do this from a poor memory when I put the external pulley on mine joe, I think that's a 12mm bolt. Seems like the 1100/1200 were 12mm and the 1000 were 10mm when the special aluminum pulleys were made up down in San Antonio. I tried to look up the drawing in the gallery, it's in there somewhere.

Found it: gallery/image_page.php?album_id=2100&image_id=26385

Not sure if he plans to fit the alt. right away but as I understand it he wants the pulley mounted and ready for when he does install his version of the poor boy.

well if i can get the parts in hand it will happen ... hooch will have two options on charging or simply another power sorce and there is another mod this may lead to ....the plan is to hard mount or not a swing tensioner mount for altinator in the shelter ...facing one way or the other ...not sure there yet ....most likely the stock fan will have to go ... and a pusher fan used...im hoping raditor will not have to move or very little at bottom .....with motor mounted hard and altinator mounted hard ...there will be a constant on the fly spring tensioner used for the belt ,,,and most likely the coils will be mounted somewhere else also so thers plenty of room ...might be ambitous ...but its just how i see it for hooch ...im going with a lower ratio on the drive as hooch likes rpm so much i dont want to over spin it and hooch really dosnt have huge power needs...also where i live in town stop and go traffic i have go a ways to get to ...hmmm i try to stay out of the civilized jungle ....but where i do live is gravel roads everywhere so alt. converson has to be well protected and center line mounted to me is the only thing that makes sence.... to me ..
so that an overall direction im pointing :builder: :thanks:

ok....thanks mike for looking that drawing up ........ the reason to use the 3" pulley on crank or one of the reasons is ...basiclly the timing cover hump for crank pulley is made about this size...this is one of those deals where its hard to know if cutting close is good or bad for protection ...ill go with close first ....right now im finishing modding the pulley in the pics above ...im sure glad i found it right here on the property ....tensioner pulley too ....cost so far 0$ and cherrios for the hands :BigGrin:

ok thinking about doing something different than the current approach of pulley fastening ....thinking of attaching pulley strait to crank pulley ...leaving stock crankbolt set just as it is ....this will save a bit of trouble and time ....could just weld it ?

things change around me all the time pics
image.php

i know i knew this ..but was surprised when crank pulley had plate on it ...when i took it apart

image.php

here the crank bolt and plate sitting on top of the tensioner i might use

image.php

the pieces actually go to 4" grinders as stone backing plates ...

image.php

this represents the lowest ..chinchyest level of cranksaft pulley ever devise id say ...im a very proud caveman ... :rocks:

image.php

not a perfect v pulley ..but it will do fine ...i may work with it a bit ..

image.php

outcome is great its really no further out than the timing covers ...im sure this is a done deal ...things on table are pining the load to cranksaft pulley...getting the rigth washers and sleeve together ... actually the stock crankbolt will work ...but im going to try and get one a 1/2" longer....

doutb i get to town today so im going to fit timing covers to the new crank pulley.......... :builder: :thanks:

The pulley setup that you have used Joe was typical of a common type used on aftermarket Bosch alternators used her in Oz. You may struggle with good output from your alternator as you really should be overdriving the alternator by 1.5 times ( bigger crank pulley than alternator) as most alternators max output is at about 14k rpms +

ive consider all that tony ....cars are lower rpm motors ...the oldwing is considerably higher rpm motor....this in itself is a ratio reduicer ...and in dont want to over drive the altinator..im trying to spec reliability....i dont spend alot time idling...plus i dont want to crowd radiator ..hoping to not move it at all ...

they make 2 1/4" altinator pulley and thats what ill try first ..i think it will nail it fine :builder: :thanks:

pics
image.php

you can see with covers on this is not out much pass timing cover

image.php

image.php

there were so many elevations there was no way to fit tighter ....wasnt to pleased but this was it ..for belt to work ..may need a bit more done with a file ...it is what it is .. :builder: :thanks: