New Gold Wing Owner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBandit181

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This week I bought a 1983 Gold Wing Interstate from a family member. For many years it was ridden daily and was well-maintained. That is until about 5 years ago when it was relegated to the garage and ridden maybe once per year. I still need to extract it from their garage and am hoping to upload a few pictures once it is out. It has about 43K miles.

My plan for maintenance includes:
Replace Battery
Replace Old Gas with Fresh
Replace Fuel Filter and Hoses
Timing Belts
Radiator Hose
Thermostat
Valve Adjustment and replace Valve Cover Gaskets
Spark Plugs
Oil and Filter change
Air Filter
Lubricate Throttle and Clutch Cables
Tires
Inspect and Address Brake Pads and Fluid
Inspect and Address the "Yellow Wires"
I'm really hoping that I can SeaFoam the carbs, I want to avoid having to rebuild them for cleaning.
If I am successful in my carb cleaning I will sync the carbs
Whatever else I find on the way

Is there anything I should add to this maintenance plan?

welcome to classic ....
first i would replace sea foam with atf ...mixed in the gas..to clean the carbs ...sea foam put in a bad running bike will trash the carbs ....if you dont get it out of them..

take timing covers off and check belts ...see if its properly timed and most important tension the belts even ...many oldwings belt are not adjusted right ..causes all kinds of running troubles and is a disaster waiting to happen.....id take plugs out spay in some lube and using crank bolt slowly work the motor back anf forth skiming the cylinder good and clean without hurting rings ....once running the path kind of goes from there ...good luck on the iggy working good .... you seem to have the right attitude for the bring back ...again welcome bandit

Welcome from Washington state! Sounds like you've got a good plan, and if anything should go awry there's plenty of help to be had here! Good luck!

Sounds like you have it covered.. I would just pull the seat and remove the gauge sender and pump out from there, I used a black and decker hand pump, the old gas makes good weed killer(grass too) hopefully you wont have slime in there as well.
Drain the fuel bowls and re-cap then add a 50/50 mix of seafoam directly into the carbs before you hook up the new fuel lines and before you fire it up.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to Classics from PA! Your list is pretty thorough and Joe already mentioned Automatic Transmission Fluid in place of SeaFoam...

The only way I use SeaFoam in the tank is if I KNOW I am going to burn the entire tank in one trip, so I usually ride 150 miles from home, fill the tank with gas and add the SeaFoam and then head for home and make sure I use as much of that tank as possible. Oh yeah, 8 oz. of ATF to a tank full.

Latest posts