New to the Goldwing thing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usskeck

Reaction score
I recently sold my HD Sportster to a fellow combat vet, and bought a used Gold Wing GL1500 Aspencade, 1994 model. I wanted plenty of bagger space and a good stereo as I go down the road. I have not been able to ride it much, though, because the battery keeps dying on me and the cruise control quit after using it twice.. I need some convincing that this is a good bike.

Welcome aboard. Mechanically these bikes are near bulletproof and dependable. Older wiring has it's issues though. Battery dying can be a as simple as a dirty ground connection or battery terminals. Is the battery new? Cruise control can be bad fuse or dirty contacts in the switch. Start a thread and the folks here will jump in with suggestions. Be as descriptive as you can.

Welcome to the forum, the 1500 isn't my expertise but have heard good things about them, probably something simple , lets hope....certainly will love it once it is sorted out.

Welcome from Oz.
You need to check your charging rate ( if good), then load test your battery ( if good) then you probably have a constant draw that is discharging your battery. The more electrical items on your bike the greater potential for an electrical problem. That being said I think that most Hondas have excellent wiring and switchgear it is just that age wearied all of us. :yes:

Welcome from Southern California! You've got a 22 year-old bike that probably needs some electrical connections cleaned up.

+1 on the above suggestions as well. Enjoy the ride!

welcome to classic most that have them here like them ..they can have problems and can be a bear to work on ....but there really isnt a much better road bike out there than the 1500s

Welcome! You won't be unhappy with a Wing. Yours might have been a bit neglected, I'm sure it's not serious. Electrical gremlins are expected as wires age and connectors corrode. Start with your battery terminals clean and tight, make sure you're charging, and start tracking. It's possible the wire for the cc is cut by being pinched somewhere. That's a common cause of that kind of trouble. Serious suggestion: trying pulling, pushing, and moving the wire bundles and see if it comes back on. If it does, it's a pinched wire or corroded or loose pin in a connector.

hello usskeck, welcome toCGW!! first check that the battery is good. my '93 SE has had few issues those were a leaking fork seal, a blown left shock , and the alternator went out around 70, 000 miles

Latest posts