G'day From Fredericton, New Brunswick

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maritimeboy

Reaction score
Picked up an '80 GL1100 a few months back that ran great when I got it. Now, not so much. Won't run after it heats up. It had plastic galore all over it from some PO wishing for an Interstate. I have taken it back to a naked wing. Still waiting to enjoy it.

Cheers :hi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180832#p180832:3lgvvvcm said:
slabghost » 23 minutes ago[/url]":3lgvvvcm]
Welcome to the fun. What exactly are the symptoms and circumstances?
The engine has never been touched during my conversion back to factory. It worked fine other than a clacking noise in the front of the engine at low idle/low rpm. Out of sync carbs are my guess but it got me on the road about a half dozen short trips before it went south. This happened about the same time I changed a choke cable. When I got it, the choke cable was just a wire hanging out the side of the bike that you pulled to start when cold.
When cold, it will start with a choke and run for a few minutes....then your done for the day.

Cheers

Sadly I think it's time to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. 80 - 81 jets are pressed in and according to the manual not serviceable. I used drywall screws to grip the jets and diagonal wire cutters to lever them out like pulling a nail. You can leave the screw in place while you clean them all the workings are inside when pressed in.

Welcome from Southern California! Yup, probably a carb issue, but also check for a spark when it won't run. Some of the old solid-state ignitors and coils get hot and stop working.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180832#p180832:gf3wuj33 said:
slabghost » Today, 3:49 pm[/url]":gf3wuj33]
Welcome to the fun. What exactly are the symptoms and circumstances?
Thanks Dan, but I think I finally found the culprit....or culprits. Both ignition coils are cracked, one of the the full length.
gl1100 coil 1.jpg
gl1100 coil 2.jpg

Latest posts