78' Wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph

Reaction score
I just made a deal with a neighbor lady, that recently lost her father, for his 78' Gold Wing. Titles clear, and he had purchased it in 85'. At the age of 43, I'm getting the itch to start riding. Sober now for nearly 3 years, alcoholic, very functional one for easily 25 years, I am ready to let the breeze hit the knees!! Any how, I'm confused as to what I really have here. The title says 78', the rear fender says GL 1000, but the motor says GL 1100? Has someone put a 1100 in this 1000 frame? If anyone is listening, or have response to my mystery I will be greatfull! Also, she says he had it running a year maybe two years ago, I tried to start it already and didn't want to fire up. Rookie of the year may come to me this year, so what is a good start in procedures for me now. I have, or can get any tool needed to get this pretty lady riding down the road again. I'll be in touch and thanks for any info' Peace!

Hi, Joseph, and welcome from Southern California! The 1000, 1100, and 1200 engines are swapped into different frames all the time. Also, the 1100 and 1000 valve covers are interchangeable, so it could be either one. There is plenty of information here, and lots of photos showing the differences between years...lots of possibilities!

The first thing you want to do, before you try starting it, is to change the oil and filter and the timing belts, unless you know the belts are recent. Flush the fuel system (year-old gas can get nasty, or could be OK, but not worth gumming up the carbs). Look through the gallery here for tips and tricks. You'll have a sweet running machine soon! Enjoy!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182461#p182461:3ifcdvoy said:
zman » 15 minutes ago[/url]":3ifcdvoy]
Welcome, probably has 1100 valve covers on a 1000 motor, they interchange..nice year model, I had one before and really liked it.
Thanks Jeff, look forward to learning about it, I had a hunch it was a different cover but wasn't sure about the interchangability of the bikes. Thanks again buddy!

Is there a cup on the rear of the left head? If so I'd guess the valve covers are all that was changed. If there is a cup on the rear right side of the motor down by the swingarm it's likely an 1100 motor in there. Welcome aboard.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182473#p182473:2bttnhzp said:
julimike54 » October 17th, 2016, 11:12 pm[/url]":2bttnhzp]
Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Thanks brother Mike!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182462#p182462:2jlldw5d said:
Steve83 » October 17th, 2016, 9:50 pm[/url]":2jlldw5d]
Hi, Joseph, and welcome from Southern California! The 1000, 1100, and 1200 engines are swapped into different frames all the time. Also, the 1100 and 1000 valve covers are interchangeable, so it could be either one. There is plenty of information here, and lots of photos showing the differences between years...lots of possibilities!

The first thing you want to do, before you try starting it, is to change the oil and filter and the timing belts, unless you know the belts are recent. Flush the fuel system (year-old gas can get nasty, or could be OK, but not worth gumming up the carbs). Look through the gallery here for tips and tricks. You'll have a sweet running machine soon! Enjoy!

Appreciate the info and will use as my guide line to getting it started. Patience!! Thanks again buddy

welcome to classic ....ok joseph the 1100 motor has rear ignition system....that sticks out in the center rear of the motor and really dosnt fit the 1000 frame ....so when putting in a 1100 motor there are some mods that have to be done ..most dont do this swap as the 1100 motor has way lower gearing than the 1000 motor....and not a great march up ....1000 gearing is low enough stock going lower makes it worse gearing .....i doubt theres 1100 motor in it .....if there is lets hope it is the 83 yr motor witch has the tallest gearing of the 1100 motors .....anyway getting it running is first job ....pics would help to figure things out ....1000 bikes have points or some after market cdi ignition system on the back of the left head .....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182605#p182605:t3gw4etc said:
backlander » October 20th, 2016, 10:03 am[/url]":t3gw4etc]
Post the motor number and we can figure out what you have.

Thanks and will do soon as I get all my pre-winter chores done. She's my winter project.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182600#p182600:2ym57r28 said:
joedrum » October 20th, 2016, 6:14 am[/url]":2ym57r28]
welcome to classic ....ok joseph the 1100 motor has rear ignition system....that sticks out in the center rear of the motor and really dosnt fit the 1000 frame ....so when putting in a 1100 motor there are some mods that have to be done ..most dont do this swap as the 1100 motor has way lower gearing than the 1000 motor....and not a great march up ....1000 gearing is low enough stock going lower makes it worse gearing .....i doubt theres 1100 motor in it .....if there is lets hope it is the 83 yr motor witch has the tallest gearing of the 1100 motors .....anyway getting it running is first job ....pics would help to figure things out ....1000 bikes have points or some after market cdi ignition system on the back of the left head .....

Thanks for all that info! Full time electrician and a 4 cabin resort owner here the U.P. open year round--I have to make time to have time!! I can't wait to share some photo's and get this mystery figured out and to hear her run for the first time, can't wait till my wife hears it and see her response-reaction at the bike! thanks again

Here's my new hobby. Can anyone tell me if the motors a 1100 or just cover swapped!
DSCF2921.JPG

Thanks for any help anyone has to offer.

Attachments

• DSCF2914.JPG
    DSCF2914.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF2912.JPG
    DSCF2912.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCF2916.JPG
    DSCF2916.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 259
Welcome! Always good to see another '78 in the club. The 1100 makes it sweeter if, as Joe notes, you have the "good gearing". (1100 valve covers and carburetors clinch it for me.)

Hope you have heated shop space...

Latest posts