Newbie !

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greule2

Reaction score
Hello, Glad too be here !
I have been terribly lucky! A great friend bought me a "fixer upper" ! My friend knew I wanted to "ride" again and I want a "big bike" preferably Honda so this is what he bought me, '81 GL1100 Interstate ! A dream come true. Considering all of the reports I have read on this bike I really like what I have read. I am currently trying to figure out how to get my radiator out and get my timing belts changed. I love "building" this old bike. Any tips or tricks are welcome. Thanks, Greg :salute: :yahoo:

Attachments

• Self internet pic.jpg
    Self internet pic.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 103
welcome to classic ...just work slow and try not to bleed taking timing covers off ..there many threads on the belt changing and someone willl probably post one for you to read ...tip never turn fresh belts with starter turn things by hand till your for sure piston are not hitting the valves

Welcome from Southern California! Patience and focus are your best friends when changing belts. It's not a difficult job, just one you don't want to rush through, or make a mistake. Enjoy the new toy/project/hobby/lifestyle...!!!

Welcome from Victoria. As has been mentioned this is a great site for information and work sharing. Helped me considerably.

Read the information on this and other forums. Come up with a budget and game plan. It's easy to get drawn into the "snowball" effect if you are not careful. Put together small manageable maintenance/work plans and complete each before doing the next one. This will let you ride the bike in between to reap the benefit of your work. It will also let you know if what you wanted to accomplish is working. Doing too much at one time may be good at the time, and you may correct an issue/problem but not know exactly what was the corrective work you did that contributed to the fix.

Best of luck with your new project.

Cheers

Latest posts