Hi my name is chick a newbie to this site and gold wings

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
Hi bought 1980 gl1100 dx last year done a lot of work to it dying to get out on it but having over charging probs done checks on new generator no probs bought new reg/ rec same prob after fitting it removed a lot of bad wiring from bike as well any ideas or info would be much appreciated cheers chick

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like quite a project. Some of the smart members will be along shortly, I'm sure we can help you sort it out. :good:

Oh yes, we want pics! We love to celebrate our owners rides. :BigGrin:

~O~

hi your problem is probably voltage drop in the key switch mostly before the sense wire causing low reading of voltage and overcharging battery ..could be wiring in general bad ..put a wire from battery to sense wire on reg/rectifier and see if overcharging stops ..cant leave it like this as it will drain the battery im thinking ..seem to on mine ..my whole wiring harness was crap ..im in the process of putting another wiring harness ....help i explained this right for you ...welcome to classic

oh sense wire is the black one on the plug at reg/ret...have to get creative to hook it up ...wire will come out of plug with small strait pin tool to push down metal hook that holds it in

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189457#p189457:12cstjs6 said:
Chick » 48 minutes ago[/url]":12cstjs6]
Hi bought 1980 gl1100 dx last year done a lot of work to it dying to get out on it but having over charging probs done checks on new generator no probs bought new reg/ rec same prob after fitting it removed a lot of bad wiring from bike as well any ideas or info would be much appreciated cheers chick
What is the problem you're having exactly?

I put Volt meter on bike battery start bike charging 14.5 volts Rev bike no change 14.4v if I put main beam on and rev even slightly voltage rockets above 15v same with brake light I have rode the bike short journeys during daytime no probs just can't put headlight on

Sense wire not reading the voltage correctly is one possibility. Loose or corroded connections. Check the main ground wire connection by the coils is clean and tight. Does the battery test okay?

15 volts doesn't worry me unless you are cooking up the battery.
Welcome from Oz.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189482#p189482:1qgyb6na said:
Ansimp » 3 minutes ago[/url]":1qgyb6na]
15 volts doesn't worry me unless you are cooking up the battery.
Welcome from Oz.
Check and top up water often at 15 (+) volts.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189491#p189491:lpxmjpqu said:
slabghost » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:43 am[/url]":lpxmjpqu]
Have you checked with other voltmeters?
+1 and make sure that you are testing at the battery posts. :yes:
If you decide to change the RR you may want to try a Mofset style.

Aftermarket regulator's let a lot less voltage through to the battery. Every stock regulator on my 1200's, let 15+ volts go through to the battery. :Awe: Arrowhead makes a reasonable priced one that i've used more than once. :yes: Lets only 14.5 or a touch less at maximum voltage output to the battery. :good: