1986 Goldwing Interstate OEM Stators

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winger86

Reaction score
Hi All Im here in n eastern PA Ive been a winger for almost 7 yrs now This bike has become my best ride only it needs a new stator I have been warned that most if not all aftermarket stators are worthless does anyone know where I can find an OEM or a reputible afermkt part that will last more than 6 months

thanks brian for the return how long ago did you change it, Do you know anything about this alternator addition I saw on other threads about the same stator issues

Alt. addition is also known as poor boy mod. Several here have done this mod. Stators do fail for a variety of reasons both oem and after market can be killed by poor wiring connections and over loading. As far as failure rates I've not read of a big difference between oem and aftermarket. 1000,1100, and 1200 stators will interchange.

Hi and welcome, one benefit to doing the poor boy external alternator conversion is that if your alternator quits while you are on a long trip it is very easy to fix. Any alternator shop could rebuild the alternator. If your stator died while touring you would have to pull your motor or pay to have some one do the work. I am converting my 86 aspencade soon, as I can make some time.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190246#p190246:20umpy1d said:
winger86 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 pm[/url]":20umpy1d]
thanks brian for the return how long ago did you change it, Do you know anything about this alternator addition I saw on other threads about the same stator issues

I replaced mine in 2014... I think. When I replaced it, I asked which one was best and I believe everyone (on a few different forums) said Rick's.

When I did it, I didn't consider the poorboy option simply because my bike is a Standard and has no fairing to hide it. If I have a problem, with any of my other bikes, a poorboy is the way I would go.

I replaced a stator in an 84 standard recently, and was certainly concerned about not having to do the job to more than necessary. The fella that owns the bike didn't want a Poor boy mod, so I put in this one from Randakk.

So far, so good. Charges great now.

the poorboy method seems like a great way to go where can i get schematics for the modification and other neccessary parts as wel las detailed instructions for the modify