I'm new here, be gentle...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal Ronson

Reaction score
Greetings!

I've been rolling around Ohio on a Frankenstein'd '77 Wing for a couple years. I've limped her home a couple times and I've had to throw band aids on her here and there but I love her all the same. I'm hoping to beef up my knowledge on how she's supposed to tick so I can get her back to 99% reliable.

Hal...

Attachments

• MelissaAkronArtMuseumResized.jpg
    MelissaAkronArtMuseumResized.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 106
Welcome neighbor. Be gentle? Are you expecting abuse for that build? If so I expect you'll be disappointed. Lots of great advice here and sources for dependable upgrades.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the build... (And she looks much better from a distance.)

It was thrown together by previous owner(s). I liked the look and snapped it up, but unfortunately inherited the problems that come with too many witches in the brew. The electrical issues have been "fun", broken bits happen all too often, and I'm constantly fighting gremlins. But when she goes, she really goes. One day I hope to strip her down and give her a proper build.

As far as the "be gentle...", I'm admittedly weak on maintenance and repair, beyond the basics. Hell, even the basics can get me flustered. I'm not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench and I'll try anything once (or twice if I didn't mind it the first time).

Hal

So how far are you from Steubenville? I'm a bit outside of town here. With the help here you don't need to be a mechanic or electrician to become an expert on your bike.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190935#p190935:2kmv6glo said:
slabghost » Today, 10:24 am[/url]":2kmv6glo]
So how far are you from Steubenville? I'm a bit outside of town here. With the help here you don't need to be a mechanic or electrician to become an expert on your bike.

I'm a full tank from Steubenville, up in Akron...
And I was definitely hoping to glean some knowledge from the knowledgeables in here. Didn't start riding until my mid-30s, so I have some catching up to do.

Hal

That is one nice looking ride! If I get a second wing, I'm doing this to one of them, I've got a '78 currently that's dressed out. Welcome to the fun, you won't find a nicer bunch of guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190934#p190934:19g2d9v4 said:
Hal Ronson » Tue May 23, 2017 7:10 am[/url]":19g2d9v4]
As far as the "be gentle...", I'm admittedly weak on maintenance and repair, beyond the basics. Hell, even the basics can get me flustered. I'm not a mechanic, but I can turn a wrench

Welcome Hal! This community has taught me a lot. I've been where you are and still am :smilie_happy: but I can adjust the valves on a GL1100, change belts on my GL1500 and even work a multimeter(usually with a call to Dan). ABS plastic repair? Ayup, that too. :BigGrin:

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190968#p190968:16juxjxu said:
kerryb » Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 pm[/url]":16juxjxu]
From your description you have a twenty something. Looks perfect at 20 feet or 20mph.

I like that description! I think my 87 falls into that category.