Newbie in Tn

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer6118

Reaction score
My hubby just bought me the best gift ever, 1978 Goldwing GL1000! I have decided to rebuild it myself (as much as possible) but I've only worked on dirtbikes so we will see how this goes... Today the work began. I cleaned out the shop, reorganized the tools and started taking her apart. I've removed the aftermarket saddle bags and trunk but I don't think I will put them back on. I'd like to do a complete restoration and already have a list of things to replace, so the quest begins. I welcome all advice....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome to a brave new to you world! 78 is a nice looking 1000. Start a thread in the 1000 section and you'll have plenty of help and explanations.

It seems as tho the bugs that fling themselves at me while I'm riding are telling me to hurry up with the repairs. A wasp decided to visit while I was breaking down the bike.... BTW, I did not create that mess of wires under the seat!
d3726030c8b279db8563c5974cbfb06c.jpg
46047100ebeabf429791c88136f48012.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191603#p191603:w6eoqa05 said:
Jennifer6118 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:36 pm[/url]":w6eoqa05]
Ansimp - watch for the telltale bullseye of Lyme disease.

They tell us it doesn't exist in Oz...
Unfortunately I believe that it was brought around by fruit bats/flying foxes who were eating the palm tree dates that I finally cut down.

Rear master cylinder. Boot pulled back to expose the push rod. The boot was split at the seam hence no brake fluid and the crap.

Following your refurbishing of the 1000. Great bikes these.

Bought my '85 LTD 19 months ago and still bringing it back to as close to original as possible. I found that breaking the work/maintenance into small, manageable packages is the best way to bring the bike back. Doing small work packages allows you to get work done, buttoned back up and then enjoy the fruits of your labour. Then tackle the next work package, and do the same. Once you get the bike working and roadworthy, working this way keeps the rebuild going, but also lets you enjoy and ride your bike. Great for budgeting and researching for items/parts as well. Taking on too much at one time can get discouraging as you are always doing work, taking items/parts off/apart, but not riding. It's the snowball effect, try to guard against this.

Good luck and I look forward to following and seeing your bike come to life.

Cheers