Can't wait to try her out!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, I would like to thank all of you for this great website, without your tips I would still be struggling with my son's standard GL1200.
A 82 year young friend of his gave him this gem-- he was the original owner, and VERY picky!! It got so it would not start, and he really felt he did not want to bother with it. He said it was more bike than he could handle at his age.
I have worked on cars for a living since 1974, presently working at a VW dealership-- and I was apprehensive about tackling
this dead bike, it looked so complicated and menacing, somehow.
So, my son asked me to come with him to look at the bike-- and I tried to start it, it would crank over, and the engine "sounded" ok, as it no noises, had compression, ect. And the bike itself was beautiful, showing 30,000 miles.
I asked the gentleman if I could try spraying some starting fluid in the intake, he was a little afraid, but went with it-- and the engine roared to life-- and would stay running as long as I gave it a little shot of fluid when it began to choke down.
So, that told me the engine was ok, had spark, compression, etc.
So, we loaded it into a U-haul, and my son took it back to North Carolina, where he was attending College, as he had a "buddy" who worked on motorcycles that said he would help him get it going. His "buddy" took one look at it and started hemming and hawing around and one could tell he was not interested it working on "Nancy", by that time my son had named the beast.
It fell to me to give the effort to get this 1200 running. Trailered back to Dad's house, and put in my storage shed. I should mention that I needed my old shed torn down, it was rotten, and a new one erected. So, my son and I made a deal-- he would handle the teardown and rebuilding, and he could park "Nancy" inside the new shed, and I would try to bring her back to life--
First effort, right away I found the fuel pump not working, checked the power supply and ground, and also tried cleaning the "points" but she was dead. That's when I began searching and found this site --- and all the great information about all things Goldwing, including how to make fuel pumps other than O.E. ones to work on the bike. I was all set to order one of those Chinese ones from E-bay-- until I read better from you folks.
So, I got the Mr. Gasket 42-S and cobbled it on, replacing the fuel lines and putting on these dandy spring clips at each connection. It works GREAT!!! Another plus is you can get one of these almost anywhere in the good ol' US of A. And I installed a new battery.
She starts and runs BEAUTIFULLY!!! And everything works, lights, horn, fans, gauges, indicator lamps--

Then. I discovered the clutch did not release, and by following members advice, concluded that the hydraulics were ok, and it was probably just stuck from sitting so long. YEP, that was it!! Put her on the center stand, fired her up, put it in gear and revved up, and applied the rear brake-- a "backlashing" noise came from the rear end, and it was free and working great. Takes up smoothly and just right operationally.

Now I have found that the rear brake caliper is stuck-- gotta pull it off and try rebuilding it. I am so looking forward to riding her!!! I rode a Goldwing once, about 1984. And I remember how well it handled, it just went where you wanted it to go, did not "fight back " at all.
I'll be sending pictures soon -- she is a beauty -- a nice deep red metallic.
Thanks again, and when I figure out how to donate, I certainly will. Best to all of you and ride safe!!!! :thanks:

Oh yeah. I've been a member of the forum for the past 7 months and I have returned to life a 1981 GL1100I with the help of everyone here! Still couple of little issues to tackle but I've put over 500 miles now to it and I must say that I'm loving more and more everyday my oldwing! :moped:
Lots of knowledge here! the best goldwing forum ever! :good:

Rear brake caliper eh? Remove it from the mounts and compress the caliper piston in with a large C clamp. Remove the old fluid from the reservoir and fill with fresh fluid. Pump it back out ( making sure the pedal pivot is greased first). Compress it a few times pumping the caliper piston back out. You should now have a functional brake if the master internals are good.

Oh and a hearty welcome to you and your son. Who should also be here to learn how to preserve his new "Nancy".

ok, got the brake problem solved thanks to the forum, I did not know about the footbrake acting on both front and back wheels!!
Right away, I tried bleeding the front one for the pedal brake, and whaddya know-- air!! It spluttered and burbled about 4 shots, and then OK. and the brakes are OK!!! AND the rear caliper quit sticking all by itself!!
So, I took her on a little trip, about 2 miles slowly. She is a beast!!
My son, Charlie, will be back from Europe next week, and he is SO excited!! Going to get new tires to be sure they are OK. And do timing belts and water pump, and some other things--
Found out she is a Standard -- those interstate hard bags were added on. Charlie has the standard taillamp assemblies and the side covers at his place and is going to bring them with him. so we can put her back like factory.
I had the neighbor take a photo and a short video of the first "takeoff". I have not ridden since 1985, you can see I am rookie careful.

Congratulations! If you post the video on you tube it can be linked. Just be sure it's not set to private.