1986 aspencade problems

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teryaki98

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a used 1986 aspencade with 41,00 miles on it. I,ve been reading that these models have electrical problems and am a little concerned about the expense. Any comments

Welcome to the site. The GL1200's don't suffer from electrical problems. Many just suffer from age and neglect. If there's a weak spot, it's the stator - but again, many stator failures are due to heavy loads imparted from old, neglected, corroded, high resistance connections in the charging circuit. If it's working now, there are a number of preventive and/or corrective actions that can be taken to prevent issues. I had an '84 Aspencade. If I were to go for another GL1200, it would be an Interstate as I'm not a fan of the digital instruments.

At the end of the day, it'll still be a 30 year old machine with potential issues around the corner. But, it'll be more reliable and long-legged than ANY OTHER 30 year old machine you might consider.

I'm a big fan of the 1200. If you have the willingness and tools folks here can advise you on how to deal with any issue that may arise.

Welcome to the forum, I have an 86 Interstate that I ride almost every day. If you decide to purchase the Aspencade the folks on this forum will help you keep it running.

Go ahead, buy your 1200, make the maintenance, look for corroded electrics, don't charge to much with elec. consumers and enjoy this reliable ride. I do it :)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy! I've owned my '86 1200 for 31 years. The stator was replaced under warranty in '87. Fast forward to '14 and changed out the corroded stator plug. '15 cleaned the 'Kill' switch due to intermittent function. That's all my electrical issues, but I also clean any connection that I take apart for service. I wouldn't be afraid!

Welcome to classic ....sheesh there are dis counters everywhere ...the 1200s do have there problems like all old wings ...Honda drop all the parts is the biggest deal ...they are a lousey support of there products ...as most all manufactures are now days ...trying to kill off there old products...so people buy new ....

Welcome to CGW. Someone on here has the answer to any question you can ask.

Everything works on my 86 Aspencade, including the 32 year old AM/FM/cassette player. It needed new pulse generators when I bought it ($100) and I put on a new front tire. Other than that, turn the switch and push the button to go riding. I put 160 miles on it last Saturday, rolling the speedometer past 29,000 miles finally. Regular maintenance and regular use keep the Old Wings rolling.

My 85 Interstate has 103,000 showing on it, so Goldwings can last longer than the Eveready bunny.