Hello from Sydney Australia

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo_Tele

Reaction score
Well, I picked up this old girl from a Oz based importer.
It is a vanilla 82 GL1100 with 28k miles on the clock.
20429746_10209775015948617_5797356733442563795_n.jpg

With this amount of miles - what recommended maintenance would you suggest.

So far I have done,
- a tank clean (in progress, Evapo-Rust, tank in bike),
- belts done this weekend (they were originals with cracking all around - so thank God they are out),

To do,
- Tyres, dated them as '92 & '95 - could that be right for Elite II's?
- Rear master cylinder,
- Speedo cable (I have it already)
- air cut-off valves ordered, checked & they are "gummy" (it supposedly had a carb kit - seems to fire up & idle ok under choke),

Cheers guys - glad I found you.

Welcome; :hi: Beautiful bike.Well on your on your way, :yes: fluid changes are in order as well :good: .

When you pull the wheels for tire change, check wheel bearings and grease the final drive splines.

Check the 3 yellow wires at the stator plug and at the regulator. These tend to overheat and burn out.

Other than that, just the regular maintenance things like oil and filter, flush cooling system and put in fresh silicate free 50/50. Flush the brake fluid front and rear, lube cables.

If your are taking the carbs off to do the bypass valves take out the accelerator pump,Carbs upside down then wire the throttle wide open so the butterflies are not in the way and add a few CC`s of distilled water into the accelerator pump passage going to the carbs throats then with an air chuck that has a good seal blow some air into the passage, you should get a good and even spray of fuel/air from all 4 carbs, these little jets(in the throats) get clogged easily even sitting long periods can clog them, I used a very tiny stiff wire to unclog mine. very time consuming to get to them but well worth the low speed performance, also check under the float needle seat for the tiny screens, these are there to keep the tiny passages from getting clogged, look to see there are no tears in the fabric or cracks.
Good luck, glad you joined.

Hello from beautiful Indiana. Sydney would be on my list of places to see, but since I don't fly I guess that won't happen. Pretty motorcycle.

Thanks a lot for the welcome gents, I really appreciate it.

Here's her original ad, https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1874116159530134&id=1493937544214666&_rdr

Progress to date,
- 30 year old tank clean (Evapo-Rust, tank in bike). Done, used 120 ping-pong balls to displace the Evapo-Rust which costs like $85 a 1.5 gallons. I needed 3 containers. Was more varnish & crud than rust... but still impressed with the Evapo-Rust impact.
- belts done (they were originals with cracking all around - so thank God they are out),
- Rear master cylinder, was actually rear brake pivot pin needing a good moly grease & clean. Done.
- air cut-off valves were "gummy". Done. No holes but they were perishing. Did this patiently with the carbs still assembled using 90deg #2 Phillips. I can only hope that the stuttering on accelerations was from shyte fuel & contamination. New fuel filters coming. New fuel line & clamps ready to go. Stabil added to full fresh tank of fuel.

Still To do,
- Tyres, dated them as '92 & '95 - could that be right for Elite II's?
- Speedo cable (I have it already)