New 1987 Gl 1200 Interstate owner

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'87GWTraveler

Reaction score
Hello to all, I'm a longtime rider- but the Goldwing has always been just a very plush idea in the back of my thick skull. I've always ridden "standard" style bikes. The last purchase was an '07 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, followed by a Sym Symba 100 that gets more use than the others as it is the "grocery getter" with basket and Sponge Bob Backpack. You see, public humiliation means little to me as I work at a small Catholic school and face it every single day. But this is different.... There she was, at the local Salvation Army store. She was kind of dirty and sad. The story was that she was ridden in by the owner. It had fallen over- and he could not pick it up. His wife freaked out and so he donated her with 36k miles on the clock. I'm unfamiliar with Wings, but their reputation certainly precedes them as the gold standard of all touring bikes. I will be doing the timing belts, radiator hoses, and anything else other members suggest as soon as I can. She sure does shine, and I'm definitely a happy owner!! Pictures coming soon!! All suggestions and knowledge are very welcome! Please pipe in!!

Thanks,

Chris :help: :help:

Welcome to Classics from PA Chris! Every time I get on my 87 I get a smile on my face and I am having more and more fun with it.

Timing belts!!!!
Unless you know the history, change all the fluids.
Take a look at the stator wire connector just in front of the battery (three yellow wires). They are known to melt and when they do, the stator is toast soon after.
Change the "dog bone fuse" (on the starter solenoid) out with an inline fuse holder and a 30 AMP ATC fuse.

Once those are done, the sky (and your wallet) is the limit as far as what you want to do.

Welcome to the fun, :hi: 87's were probably the best of the 1200's, as they had the bugs worked out, as the last year of anything usually is. :roll:

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=194973#p194973:171p7git said:
wedoo2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm[/url]":171p7git]
Welcome from beautiful Indiana. Getting a bike from the Salvation Army is certainly a new one,

No kidding. Makes me want to swing by and see what they might have! Or maybe Goodwill. Nah. It's hit or miss - right place, right time.

Good for 87GWT!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194925#p194925:2j4ml0p4 said:
'87GWTraveler » August 20th, 2017, 10:45 pm[/url]":2j4ml0p4]
His wife freaked out and so he donated her.........

I guess I never knew that was an option :smilie_happy:

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy!

Hi Chris!

The Symba 100... I'd heard of 'em, but assumed they were just another China clone scoot... but Taiwan means they're higher quality stuff. I'm certain that the SpongeBob backpack makes it good for another 2hp, but advertised 60mph on 100cc, that's quite the machine. It's off the GoldWing topic, but since they look rather similar to the Honda Dreams (and I'm sure they took excellent notes in the design room), I'm calling it 'okay' if you'd be willing to give us a riding impression, and tell us how it compares to your Triumph and Goldwing.

My history is predominantly '79 CX500D of rediculously high miles, and the reliability of that bike was a pretty high standard. I had a Sportster (79/80 1000cc) which was far and above any other motorcycle I owned in terms of noise, vibration, oil and fuel drips, brake effort, and turning radius :smilie_happy: but I started on a KZ400, I owned a KZ-250 that got 'reduced' to a bare-bones cafe-style... I've got a Suzuki GN-400 of same styling (for lifting into the back of my company truck), a CX650C, a Suzuki GS750E with Windjammer... I've also owned an '82 GPz-750 Turbo (in Kenny Roberts Green). Thanks to my uncle, I've ridden BMW twins from the '50's to 2010, an early '50's Ariel Square Four (which felt fascinatingly like operating a combine harvester) and a BSA Rocket 3 that shocked the crap out'a me in a right-hand turn... Harley FatBoys, softail springers, Lowriders, Superglides, RoadGlides and police bikes... I've also ridden Honda and Suzuki 49cc mopeds, a Suzuki GT-550, Kawasaki KZ-454LTD, my dad's Honda 115cc EFI scooter, and I've got a Chinese 150CC scooter that... well... it's chineese. I've got a cousin in Europe who has all sorts of cycles that I've ridden, most I don't recall, but the Suzuki RE-5 (Wankel Rotary) and GT750 (water-buffalo), and one late '80's Honda NSR-500V that was rediculously, obscenely, too-scary-fast to ride (power wheelie in 3rd gear at 110mph...)... oh, and one Boss Hoss with a mild 350ci Corvette motor.

My initial thoughts on the 'wing, from just looking at them, is that they're big, cushy, smooth, slow-handling, geriatric machines...

And those thoughts are perfectly correct until the 'slow handling, geriatric' part. They're surprisingly sprightly in handling, and loaded with power. I've yet to scrape the engine guards, pegs, or saddlebags on the pavement, but I've earned plenty of opportunities to upset the local constibulary, just being energetic in riding...

And I love this thing... just love it. The loose plastic parts fallin' off, carb problems, electrical gremlins, and fading plastic are totally irrelevant... if I keep this (and I tend not to 'get rid' of things I like), it'll probably get seriously stripped down, simplified, and reassembled with every possible thing fixed, and every unnecessary gadget, cover, and trinket nix'd in lieu of functionality... and I'll ride it 'till there's no two moving parts in it that physically touch anymore. :moped:

My first bike was a Suzuki 2-stroke GT. I knew absolutely nothing about motorcycles, and it scared the shiat out of me. Had it about 6 months before I traded it in for a new Suzuki GS400. It was either that or die. Tons of different bikes since then but that 400 was as good as it got; took it everywhere east of the Mississippi.

Thanks for all the welcoming support from all. This is my first 'Wing. It is also the biggest bike I've ever owned. My Triumph rides a lot like my old Norton 850 except that it always starts and runs. The Sym is kind of like a heavy moped with 4 gears and a sense of humor. Symba will indeed do 55-60 and bring home the groceries(beer). Sym actually built the Cub for Honda for many years, this is just their own version of it. Now the 'Wing.... Remarkably low center of gravity and fairly stable at low speeds. It's hard to say how it handles because the rear tire has the freeway wear pattern of flat across the face, and the front is kind of wavy with decent tread. Both tires will soon be replaced. I also have new Gates timing belts and oil and air filters to play with. The bike runs great, but seems to run a little rich?? I will be posting pictures soon. Promise.

Best to all,

Chris :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195263#p195263:1phpmwzr said:
Ohara » Today, 5:23 am[/url]":1phpmwzr]
:BigGrin: I liked my 850 Norton. That extra 100 cc's gave it some nice bottom end that the 750's lacked. Enjoy your Goldwing.

^^^That^^^ +1 :good:

Yes the P11's definitely had it. They were rare up here but I did have a friend who had one, it was super fast for it's day. I think they had high pipes if I remember correctly. I have not seen one for 45 years or so.