Greetings from Hoosier land

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_6431-1.jpg
20150317_170044.jpg
I just purchased my first 'Wing, an '84 Interstate. My son-in-law also has an '84 but his is bare bones. I made the mistake of riding it a year ago and loved it. I rode motorcycles growing up. My final year of college, '78-79, I had a new CB750F with SS Windjammer that I loved dearly. I sold it in '81 to raise downpayment for our first house. 30 years and a bunch of kids later, after my SIL gets his 'Wing, I picked up a barn find (sitting 20 years) CB900C. Got it on the road 3 years ago and put 35k on it. I love it! I tune pianos and use the bike to get to appointments and I service pianos literally all over the state.

My brother had to give up riding and made me an offer i couldn't refuse on his '01 Vulcan 1500 so I added that as a back up bike, putting about 10k on it. V-twins are not really my thing, but it is a pretty cool bike and makes me feel bad ass to ride. It is also more comfortable for the wife in a 2 up.

Unfortunately last Sept '14 the cam chain broke on the cb900. Then in Oct '14 a cager ran a stop sign and t-boned me on the Vulcan, totaling it. Miraculously I walked away, though still receiving chiro treatment for whiplash. So I've been all winter without 2 wheels and depressed.

I almost pulled the trigger to get an '83 CB1000C to replace my 900, but decided at the last minute to get the 'Wing instead. So far I'm liking it alot, though it is a little rough. We are working through the issues.

I'm not used to the quiet yet. Part of me misses the throaty roar of going through the gears and wants to put on louder pipes. But the old man in me is really liking the quiet. Not sure how that is going to resolve just yet.

I'm getting some vibration on acceleration and decceleration. It seems to be engine related though hard to tell. I ran a full can of Seafoam through it yesterday and about 5 miles into it the bike suddenly found 50% more power and started running smoother. The vibration is much better, but still there.

I've also got a problem with the turn signals, they won't stay on. It looks like PO has clipped the wires going to the little relay that engages inside the switch. More investigation required. Meantime I just hold the switch with my thumb while working the clutch with other fingers. Not the best, but it works.

I'm in process of upgrading headlight to a Silverstar Ultra. I noticed the position bulbs are fairly dim and would like to replace with LED but can't find them. Anybody know where they are available?

I'm also planning on changing differential fluid to synthetic to see if it will help vibration.

PO supposedly has changed stator and front forks. It does need tires sometime in next 2k miles. Paint is a little faded. But I'm liking it. I've got about 300 miles on it in the last 3 days and looks like mileage is around 40 with driving it hard to work the seafoam.

I'm 57 and a piano tuner with a BS in mechanical engineering. I have 11 children (same woman), 4 married, 9 grandchildren with 2 more coming. Christian Libertarian anarchist of sorts. And deeply opinionated, but I love everybody!

I've also acquired the following project bikes

'81 CB900F
'82 XJ750 Seca
'82 XJ650 Seca
'87 Venture Royale

It's a sickness, I know. Actually looking to get rid of them as I've got to drastically downsize for a pending move. :)

Welcome aboard, sounds like your getting it sorted out, If you use LED in the turn signals you will need an electronic flasher unit but they are easy to install. Sometimes the carbs will clear and sometimes not, The Keihin carbs in order to sandwich them between the tank and engine have small cornered passageways that can clog and be impossible to fully clear without taking them apart.
Sounds like your education will come in handy, they are easy once you realize they are not easy, you just have to go through the procedures required and they will give years of trouble free service.
Nice bikes you have.

welcome to classic ... check the oil for gassy smell as carbs might be leaking in cylinders ..just something to check for on new to you wing ...when they run rough they can make a lot of noise....1200s have the hydro lash heads and can make noise when not right...1200 have good oil flow and are useally great on lower end ...welcome again

What an absolutely wonderful family picture. The only ones not smiling are the younger and the more senior.
Family get togethers must be very special in your house.

Welcome from Buffalo.
My '83 was running rough until I synced the carbs, with sea foam & sync it just got better and smoother with each mile (til I figured out the smoke was a blown head gasket!)

Welcome from South East Florida. I can understand how you feel about the quiet and the loud. I have a 78 GL1000 and come to find out there are aftermarket pipes on my bike. They have a great sound when @ an idle. they have a great throat sound when you give it the gas but still quiet enough to hear 3" clock speakers in the radio catty @55 mph (driver only). There are a lot of over priced exhaust mufflers out there for sure. I've done a lot of research on this for my bike looking for the middle of the road type of sound. I've heard most ppl run HD mufflers. I also have a set of 76 mufflers for this bike smaller than yours of course but there quiet. One thing I've found out also from the vibrating your telling is in my case the c/v slides were hanging up causing it to vibrate under a load. I used a 44 cal gun barrel brass cleaner on a drill to polish them up (over a glass table) to see when to stop. Again unsure if there set up with C/V slides on the 1200. You will find out all you need when the issues arise with the questions. Again welcome to Classic GoldWings :hi:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144013#p144013:36mytx5w said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » 26 minutes ago[/url]":36mytx5w]
One thing I've found out also from the vibrating your telling is in my case the c/v slides were hanging up causing it to vibrate under a load.

Sounds like what mine is doing. I'll keep the Seafoam going through it! Thanks for the tip.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144018#p144018:2mtqy81u said:
deanmay » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 pm[/url]":2mtqy81u]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144013#p144013:2mtqy81u said:
CRAFTMAN6001 » 26 minutes ago[/url]":2mtqy81u]
One thing I've found out also from the vibrating your telling is in my case the c/v slides were hanging up causing it to vibrate under a load.

Sounds like what mine is doing. I'll keep the Seafoam going through it! Thanks for the tip.
Update its a 40cal barrel brass

I've got close to 3k miles on it so far, keep running Seafoam in it, it keeps running better. Getting very smooth. My 2 complaints about the bike are I find myself going down the highway and after awhile I realize I'm still in 4th gear. Second complaint is similar, bike is so smooth and quiet I don't know how fast I'm going.

I am loving this Goldwing.

Latest posts