Gl 1200 question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I own an 86 Interstate that runs perfect, I just bought an 86 Aspencade that is in beautiful condition that has a dead stator. I will do the poor boy conversion over this winter. After trailering this bike home I charged the battery and went for a ride. The bike ran a bit rough, seemed to be struggling for power and died after about 20 minutes of riding. (Thank God I was only a mile or so from home THESE BIKES ARE HEAVY TO PUSH). After sitting for while with the charger on it started up and ran for while in the garage. I shut it off and it would not fire again. The next day it started every time I tried. The question I have is, would this be the result of a low battery. I will be checking all the connections and electrical things mentioned in the manual. But I am very interested in your opinions. Looks like I am starting to suffer multi bike syndrome which I hope is not fatal...

Could be any number of problems. Since it supposedly has a bad stator I'd be checking over all the charging system connections first. Stator is often blamed too quickly. Also with this believed issue the bike has likely been sitting for some time. So bad gas or gummed carbs could also be an issue.

Thanks for the fast replies, I will change out the fuel filter and drain the fuel tank and carbs while I am at it. I will not be trying to run the bike again until the spring... The stator shows infinite holms when reading each yellow between each of the three yellow wires so it has shorted out.. Darn... But I knew this going in... Should make for an interesting project just wish I had a bit more time....
I will have to make some.....
Thanks again, ohara

Sounds to me like your battery was not fully charged or faulty. You could take it and have it properly charged and tested by a battery supplier or auto electrician.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I will proceed with the poor boy conversion and while I am at it check all the related connections. I hope once the bike is charging properly it will run fine. If not I will continue into the carbs.. I will report back (could be as late as this spring). One other question, when looking into the alternator for the 1993 Geo Metro I have the option of a ND. or Mitsubishi. Which one is preferred?

I have not read of any flaws to either ND or Mitsubishi alternators. Quality seems about the same so cost may be the point of choice. You can google each for reviews. I have not gone so far myself.

They both cost about the same up here, however I may have read that the ND is little more compact... With the core charge and Tax it will be about $240.00 Canadian dollars for either. This price is from the local parts store. I will check the wreckers for used before I spend too much...

Thanks ohara..

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183040#p183040:30h0uqae said:
joedrum » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:06 pm[/url]":30h0uqae]
nothing poor boy about that price.....

:smilie_happy:

Ain't that the truth! I thought that about 5 years ago when I did mine. I think the whole "Poorboy" conversion cost me over $300. Still, never having to worry about a stator again was worth it.

This Multi Bike Syndrome is going to turn out to be expensive but it really is worth it for the enjoyment (and challenges) it brings. I have a bit of work to do on this Aspencade but it is a labour of love...
Can't wait till spring..........Hope it is completed by then
Later ohara...

Got my 50 amp alt from a local electrical shop refurbished out the door for $125.00 taxes in. Another local shop had a 40 amp new unit for $200.00 out the door. Check with an auto wrecker than get it serviced.

Good luck

Thanks Earnest, I am calling a few used auto parts places this afternoon, Kingston has an alternator rewind company so I will try them as well. I am still planning on ordering the basic conversion kit from Don P. So finding the proper alternator at an affordable price is key. Hope you have a mild winter in Victoria, I spent 6 years in Vancouver in the late seventies.Thanks again Ken Ohara

Ohara - Got to the cleaning up of my hand sketch for the alt mounting brackets that I made for my alt mod. I used 1" angle and made to suit.

Apologize for the imperial and metric units. Here is the upper and lower bracket diagram:
Alt Mod Upper and Lower Brackets 001.jpg

Here is a picture of the crank pulley with spacers. The pulley is off a '99 prelude power steering pump:
Crank Pulley Parts.jpg

Here is a picture of the crank pulley pieces together:
Crank Pulley and Spacer.jpg

Here is a picture of the pulley:
Crank Pulley 1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ohara - forgot about one issue. Try to get an alternator that has a 2 point attachment. Best way to explain is a picture:
55 amp alt.jpg

Front view:
Chev Mini Denso Alt Front.JPG

Mine is a three wire. It allows me to have a light installed that indicates if the alt is working or not. Single wire units work us as well.

Cheers

Multiple bike syndrome is not an issue...it's a level of achievement! ALso, you never have to spend a good riding day fixing a bike, just ride a different one!

Your diagrams will certainly help, I have two friends that are machinist, this will make this project a lot more affordable. I see the two point attachment saves having to grind the back of the alternator, also great point on the 3 wire system. I will be asking more questions regarding wiring when I get to it. (which may not br for a while yet. Thanks Earnest. Ken.

Latest posts