What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190130#p190130:3aq2rng9 said:
brianinpa » Wed May 03, 2017 8:00 pm[/url]":3aq2rng9]
Today was a productive day. I rode the 81 1200 to work. I came home and I moved V's 84 1200 out of the shed and rode it through the yard so I could get it in the garage. After that, I rode the 87 1200 for it's first test ride, but not too far... not floorboards yet.

After that, I lined everyone up for a group photo of a GL4800! :shock:

image.php

Now that's a spiffy line up of 12s! :eek:k:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=187910#p187910:1aqmsz4p said:
UTgl1000 » March 12th, 2017, 1:21 pm[/url]":1aqmsz4p]
Today I replaced the "dog bone" with a 30 amp inline fuse holder (and fuse) because I had lost all power to the bike since I last went out (2 weeks)I had it on my new battery maintainer.
After installing the inline fuse holder....hmmm, very dim lighting and no power to the starter. So started checking the path,
battery 13.5 v, 13.5 to the new fuse. Checking the connectors......Oh CRAP!!!!

So looks like I am going to do some electrical :head bang:
file.php

After repairing the melted connector and getting a new AGM battery I have no spark. Everything thing else is working again. It has a Dyna electronic IG, I pulled the cover(points) and dont see any discoloration or burn mark. Starting to trouble shoot per the manual and it said to check and removed the diode, Are diodes used with electronic ignition?
I have not checked the rectifier for resistance yet. Any thoughts??

Try sliding a piece of fine sand paper a few times across each side of the points then see if you get spark.

Edit: oh wait, you don't have points. Hmm. Not sure what to check next.

Guess I'd check first the dyna is getting power with key on, and also a good ground.
Try a fresh set of plugs for spark just in case they fouled.
Beyond that if you have the points ignition parts, put that in to rule out dyna is the problem or not.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190276#p190276:1y7gtrlt said:
UTgl1000 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":1y7gtrlt]
Thank you guy's,

Unfortunately I don't have the IG pars as the PO did the upgrade. Does the diode's play any role in getting spark to the coil's?
There are no diodes in the ignition circuit that I'm aware of. In the regulator/rectifier yes but that's not part of the ignition circuit.

I ordered caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits, then my friend lat me do something that was a mistake...he let me ride his 2005 1800, WOW that is one smooth bike! Everything about that bike is amazing, no wonder mother Honda hasn't changed it for so long!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Rode Val around Brisbane yesterday and to Springwood for Saturday coffee as well, which used up a tank of fuel. Hope to be on the Rats Nest out to Boonah for breakfast tomorrow. :beg:

Well tomorrow is a big day, I'll be rebuilding my front calipers, replacing brake pads, replacing the Speedo drive and possibly doing the single carb conversion. Let's see how much I can get done before the sunshine gets too irresistible.

Memorial Day weekend is my traditional once-a-year Wash & Wax. I used to do it in one day, from right after breakfast until suppertime. :whip: I'm too old for that pace now, so today will be wash and dry; tomorrow will be wax and polish. :builder: Ride on Monday. :moped:

I must have some sort of allergy to all that wash, wax, buff, stuff!!! :yes: The chances are, if there's a clean area anywhere, it's a piece that's just been serviced (repaired etc). :smilie_happy:A whole day to repair is one thing, but to WASTE a whole day to primp, NO THANKS :rant: :hihihi: :salute:

Kindred spirit. At most I'll clean or polish a couple hours then it'll just have to wait until I get around to it again. I do try to keep the valk at least half presentable though.

Well I got the brakes rebuilt, just to find out I should have ordered new pistons, but a little cleaning and they work well enough. Went on a ride of about 60 miles, and found out my brake lights aren't working, guess what I'm doing tomorrow...[emoji33]

Latest posts