What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode to breakfast, on the way ran into the cool front and the 25 to 30 mile per hour winds. Made it sound like I was racing with all the wind noise. On the way back was more with the wind making for a better ride :)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197796#p197796:njpgj64g said:
julimike54 » 5 minutes ago[/url]":njpgj64g]
Rode to breakfast, on the way ran into the cool front and the 25 to 30 mile per hour winds. Made it sound like I was racing with all the wind noise. On the way back was more with the wind making for a better ride :)
There's a stretch about an hour north like that. Plowing the wind going north but real nice going south!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197796#p197796:hcl892vx said:
julimike54 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:52 am[/url]":hcl892vx]
:moped: :good:

Not done to the 'Wing, but I patched my first ever MC tube and it doesn't leak!

My son called last week. When he calls instead of texting, it's serious. I was relieved to hear it was just a flat tire on the KLR!

This is my first time removing a MC tire. Came off pretty easy actually. The 2 special tools help a lot.
Hardest part was breaking the bead, and getting the tube nipple into the hole in the wheel. Hard to get fingers in there to push it thru.
For the most part it was a satisfying experience being my first time and not pinching the tube like I usually did on bicycle tires.
Wing tires I bet aren't as easy to work as these skinny dual sport tires but I feel like I could do it now if there was no other choice.

Finished rebuilding the front forks. Used BelRay 20 WT oil. New parts all round:

Seal set - qty 2 - 51490-MN8-305
Lower pipe piston ring - 2 per side - 51437-MB4-003
Upper tube slide bushing - qty 2 - 51419-MB4-003
Guide bushing - qty 2 - 51414-KCR-003

I have Race Tech springs and gold valves installed. Found the front a bit soft so I cranked up on the gold valve springs two turns. The springs on the valves are the yellow springs.

The lower pipe had 4 additional 1/2" holes drilled in for oil flow and the original two holes were enlarged to 1/2". There is 25 mm preload as well, this is accomplished by cutting the provided PVC type 1" pipe to a specific length.

Also bought the spring install tool and a Motion Pro 41 mm fork seal tool. Once I had both of these, install of the new parts, oil in and buttoned up was 1/2 hour for both forks. Bike together and waiting for the rain to stop for road test.

The TRAC is no longer in play/disconnected with the Race Tech install. Here are the instructions for a race Tech suspension upgrade with the gold valves. You will notice that there are additional oil flow holes and the instructions specify removing the anti-dive plates as there are new oil flow holes drilled in the lower damping rod.
View attachment Race Tech Install Instructions.pdf

I rode it 30 miles to my friends barn, stuck dryer sheets in key places, pulled the battery, tucked it into its cover, and said goodbye till spring. Got home and my car was cheering because it gets the garage for the winter!

Got out today for a road test. Bike operated well - 14.2 V displayed on dash gauge. Forks felt good - getting closer to what I like, will adjust gold valve spring tension one more turn next servicing. Ready for another LA trip and beyond.

OEM style connectors came in this week. Will be starting a connector replacement program over the next while. Should clean up the wiring a bit more.

Cheers

I moved mine to a temporary shelter and hooked up the battery tenders. I may have to move them in a few weeks as I think my house is sold. If this happens I hope to ride them to their new home. Worst case I will trailer them. Once this is done it will be time for oil changes and hibernation. :moped:

IT's been really nice here in the Wasatch, 68F yesterday, 65F today and near 70F tomorrow. I had to work so we rode.

Attachments

• IMG_20171125_104934599.jpg
    IMG_20171125_104934599.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 136
Yesterday, I fired "The Turd" up and let it run for aboot 20 minutes or so. Still fires up easy, and just aboot burned all of the crap out of the pipes now. I did see a couple of things that kinda freaked me out, but that will be for another thread later.
Then, rode the 1500 down to two different parts places to get oil and filter for it. Came back home and changed both on it. This one hasn't used or leaked any oil from day one....very happy aboot that! :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197961#p197961:sdcwwzj6 said:
AApple » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:57 pm[/url]":sdcwwzj6]
Yesterday, I fired "The Turd" up and let it run for aboot 20 minutes or so. Still fires up easy, and just aboot burned all of the crap out of the pipes now. I did see a couple of things that kinda freaked me out, but that will be for another thread later.
Then, rode the 1500 down to two different parts places to get oil and filter for it. Came back home and changed both on it. This one hasn't used or leaked any oil from day one....very happy aboot that! :yes:
:good: