What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though it doesn't look like it, I have spent two solid days in the garage organizing, recycling, and trashing all manner of life's detritus. My wife and I are both pack rats to a fault. One is bad, two is a disaster. She is the polar opposite of my ex, who couldn't leave a magazine on a table for an hour.

Anyway, although it still looks messy, it's an organized mess. Even though I moved them out of what I thought was harm's way, my previously nicely detailed motorcycles have a layer of dust on them now. I have lots of Vmax parts now on ebay and craigslist. There are a few Goldwing bits that I'm probably going to be posting here soon. Most of it I'm keeping...

Attachments

• IMG_5557.JPG
    IMG_5557.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 105
Did some wiring updates last week. Replacing these connectors:
Crimp Terminals 3.jpg
with these:
Crimp Terminal Connector.jpg
of varying pin numbers - and they lock together. Have the 2.8 mm and 6.4 mm. A much neater install as well. The new ratcheting crimp tool with interchangeable dies works a treat.

Weather has been nice for the last couple of days so riding has been the order of the day.

Cheers

I picked up timing belts for the Aspy tonight after work, I plan on changing them out this weekend, I crossed referenced the part numbers from Gates and Napa and found these at Autozone, they are made by Dayco/Duralast. Has anyone tried these with success? cost was $11.99 ea. The Honda belt on the right is one I changed on the '78 last year, same tooth count and length and the thickness looks the same to the naked eye

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_220323256.jpg
    IMG_20180116_220323256.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 67
Looked into this years ago, Toyota as well as several other makes of cars used these belts. I've bought Gates, as well as a few others over the years with good results. Auto Zone's Duralast's are Probably the same Mexican, or Chinese, belts as the name brands are now. Seems any brand of about anything is.

Brought my 20th century motorcycle into the 21st century.

image.php

The hardest part was getting past the apprehension of drilling a hole in the end of the camshaft. Once that was done, the rest was easy.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199498#p199498:67z0m5qf said:
brianinpa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:01 am[/url]":67z0m5qf]
Brought my 20th century motorcycle into the 21st century.

image.php

The hardest part was getting past the apprehension of drilling a hole in the end of the camshaft. Once that was done, the rest was easy.

Nice!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199521#p199521:1wr5yzjr said:
brianinpa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:53 am[/url]":1wr5yzjr]
It's coming... just in another thread.
:good: :popcorn:

Last week was spent doing a yearly deep cleaning of the '78 for a weekend show and shine (post 4973 above). Today was the Valkyrie's turn. Need I mention that it's a chore to do a deep dive on one of these puppies. Done for now. Still have the wheels to do. For some reason, I always do them last as they're my least favorite part to clean.

The plan is to do a run up Yarnell Hill this weekend. We'll be getting a cold front push through Friday night and the highs will drop from the mid 70's to around 60 both Saturday and Sunday. Chilly for us. It'll be considerably cooler as we ascend into Prescott. A 15 - 20 degree change might chase us back down the hill before we get that far.

Attachments

• IMG_5568.JPG
    IMG_5568.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 145
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199561#p199561:2jrpcate said:
desertrefugee » Today, 4:34 pm[/url]":2jrpcate]
Last week was spent doing a yearly deep cleaning of the '78 for a weekend show and shine (post 4973 above). Today was the Valkyrie's turn. Need I mention that it's a chore to do a deep dive on one of these puppies. Done for now. Still have the wheels to do. For some reason, I always do them last as they're my least favorite part to clean.

The plan is to do a run up Yarnell Hill this weekend. We'll be getting a cold front push through Friday night and the highs will drop from the mid 70's to around 60 both Saturday and Sunday. Chilly for us. It'll be considerably cooler as we ascend into Prescott. A 15 - 20 degree change might chase us back down the hill before we get that far.
file.php
Sounds like a nice ride. I like Prescott.

Rode the Rats Nest for the first time since before Christmas and it wasn’t very happy starting off. I also found that I need to change the fork seals as fork oil had leaked over the rim, brakes and disc :doh:
A quick wash with some spray on degreaser and the hose before riding off to Springwood. Need to pull her off the road for the front end upgrade, Windjammer clean-up and Mofset rr install. :whip:

Winter hit SLC, we got 12 inch's overnight and its still snowing, What a good day to take care of a few maintenance issues

1 timing belts (will check valve clearances and replace spark plugs)
2 flush coolant system
3 oil/filter change
4 a good cleaning while the lower plastic is off.

After I got the plastic, hardware and covers off it was diner time. Will finish tomorrow.

Attachments

• timing belts Jan2018.jpg
    timing belts Jan2018.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 100
Temps were in the mid 40's so I started the 84 up with the intention of just letting it warm up and run it through a few fan on/off cycles. After it was running a few minutes, I said screw it, lets ride!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199590#p199590:m4exl0a5 said:
Ansimp » January 19th, 2018, 11:44 pm[/url]":m4exl0a5]
Rode the Rats Nest for the first time since before Christmas and it wasn’t very happy starting off. I also found that I need to change the fork seals as fork oil had leaked over the rim, brakes and disc :doh:
A quick wash with some spray on degreaser and the hose before riding off to Springwood. Need to pull her off the road for the front end upgrade, Windjammer clean-up and Mofset rr install. :whip:

What is the P/N and model of your new RR? I take it that it is a series RR. Need to update my spreadsheet. Really should start to use a database for this type of information.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199626#p199626:31i2qxyl said:
Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:15 am[/url]":31i2qxyl]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199590#p199590:31i2qxyl said:
Ansimp » January 19th, 2018, 11:44 pm[/url]":31i2qxyl]

What is the P/N and model of your new RR? I take it that it is a series RR. Need to update my spreadsheet. Really should start to use a database for this type of information.

Cheers

Looks like the seller is no longer on my eBay watchlist but it is a Chinese generic Mofset rr. I will post pictures and results when finally installed. There is nothing wrong with my original rr I just want to reduce the unnecessary current in the stator and connections.

Looked on line and found two units from offshore that were reasonably priced. Have one from Roadster Cycle that I may look at installing on the second '85 LTD. Newer technology is always a good bet.

Went out today and did some cleaning/waxing on the 1500, then fired it up and let it run for aboot 30 minutes. It's been sitting there in the garage for a couple of months now...all lonely and sad. :fiddle: Hopefully there will be some decent(above 40deg) weather here this week so I can put a few more miles on it.
Just for grits and spins, I checked the charging voltage while it was running, as I haven't really checked since changing the alt a year or so back. Happy to see it was putting out a solid 14.1v at all times....idle, 3000rpm, hi beam/lo beam, brake lights on, etc. Never dipped below 14v, so that's gud. :yes: