Technician Needed.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgspec

Reaction score
I am looking for someone who can work on my 1977 GL1000 Goldwing. Particularly the ignition, with points and condensers, and electrical system. I can work on the mechanical stuff, IE brakes, coolant system, etc. I just know more about the points and condenser in a car and nothing about the system in a motorcycle. I live in SW Missouri but I can travel to Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

Electrics work exactly the same on the bike as on the car. Post up any questions you have and someone here can walk you through it.

I'm no electrical genius myself. I've found that I can convert electrical theory into plumbing and handle most tasks up to and including working on particle accelerators. Pressure=voltage, flow=current, resistance=flow restriction, valve=switch, capacitor=surge volume (think pressure tank n a well system), diode=check valve, battery=pump, etc. Ground is just return plumbing to the pump. Magnetic field pushes the electrons just like the vanes in a centrifugal pump push the water. Most of the GL series have pretty good drawings and trouble-shooting procedures Look at it this way, you aren't just trying to fix something, but gaining a skill that you can continue to use and may save you from a long walk out on the road. In rebuilding the old GL1000 that I'm working on I've had to learn a lot of new skills, which is part of the task and part of the fun.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202167#p202167:2vv2wujp said:
slabghost » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm[/url]":2vv2wujp]
Electrics work exactly the same on the bike as on the car. Post up any questions you have and someone here can walk you through it.

Yes do this! These folks make it so easy, and this IS what we are all about and why we are here.

~O~

What makes you think that you need to get into the ignition? Normal points maintenance, bike running poorly?

Bike will turn over but not start. Guy I bought it from said it was the coils, can't believe both went bad at the same time. Looking at the manual on the forum there are many different components that can be bad. Starting with the obvious. Going through and checked the things I can check. Points look burned out, wiring between points and condenser has been jury rigged together. I am going to try to fix the problem myself, so I need to know what gauge wire runs between the points and condensers?

Pretty sure that's 16 gauge wire. Points can be filed and set. At least to make it run. Wiring on the points must be on the insulator. If any contact the spring that will ground them out and they will not work.

In my experience, main reason for burned points is bad condenser. GL1000 uses a double unit - one end for each point. Condenser is mounted on front of battery box. Make sure it is well grounded.

I have thought of that and how well does that work? Is it easy to install? Will I need new coils to go with the system?

Best choice is a complete entirely new ignition system. C5 ignition includes coils and wires uses only your plugs. All of the original ignition is removed.

I know, already priced that. Going with electronics ignition to start and maybe later new coils.

Do you have it running with the stock ignition? I would get that sorted before throwing electronics into the equation. The Dyna system still needs the coils, ballast resistor, plug wires & caps, and much of the wiring. The stock points and condenser are cheap compared to frying an electronic system due to a wiring error. But, once you have the stock system working, conversion should be simple.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=202295#p202295:1otzc2ce said:
pidjones » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:12 pm[/url]":1otzc2ce]
Do you have it running with the stock ignition? I would get that sorted before throwing electronics into the equation. The Dyna system still needs the coils, ballast resistor, plug wires & caps, and much of the wiring. The stock points and condenser are cheap compared to frying an electronic system due to a wiring error. But, once you have the stock system working, conversion should be simple.
+1 :yes:

When I restored a GL1000, I installed electronic ignition and also installed coils from a sport bike that I got from a scrap yard. Didn't have to do any mods and it ran without problems. If I remember I think the difference in the coils, is the OHMS .

Ok, I got the wiring for the points and points sorted out and set. I have a good spark through the points, but a weak spark to #1 and #3 cylinders but no spark to #2 and #4. Looking for suggestions.
Jeff