Dual Weber IDF 40 Setup - What's it worth?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=201166#p201166:3rl1gqbj said:
mcgovern61 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 pm[/url]":3rl1gqbj]
That sounds pretty darn good! :salute:

Curious, are you going to be hearing a lot of intake noise with the open throats right under you there?

Oh yeah.

Dang it Joe. I knew you'd hear that. Yes, it wasn't fully warmed up and that right carb's Accel pump was still barely squirting. I've pulled it to address. If that doesn't cure it, I'll be doing some head scratching. Should be today. Then it'll be time for a real shakedown.

I hope.

Gee wiz I posted a good response and lost it somehow ...I’ll try again ...don’t ever forget that the biggest part of a gas charge is air with virtually no adjustments ...as I see things now the bike seems to be idling well ...throttle plates closed ....things are changing as soon as the thorttle plate opens and comes off idle ..to be blunt this is where it has to be the best ...as I see your set up ..there is no restriction of air past the carb tops ..I’m guessing that with your set up velocity stacks are where it is at ...if it was me I’d find some tubes of some kind and add some length to the top of the carbs ..the taller the tubes the less the air...but the faster it moves ..hence I guess the name velocity stacks...if the idle is good the right volume and speed of the air and good jetting will make it snap off idle big time ..it takes all this just right especially on your set up ...carb is right on top of the intake valve ..has to make great charge instantly as the Combustion chamber is just a few inches away....to me huge amount of slow moving air seems not the best ..I’m just guessing ...but on my set up with long runners I played with the air hugely ..thin air filter and taller air filters ...went with cold air induction over heated air ...these things made huge differences ...I also play with with pipe stacks I put over each barrel of the carb and know first hand that this can teach you what’s going on ....just don’t get stuck on carb adjustment only that’s mostly gas...that’s pretty much all the carb does with small adjustments for air ...in no way does this make up 80 percent plus of the air involved ...

If I were you I’d cut some pipe something that can fit carb tops an experiment along with the things you can do to the carb ....I’ve never heard one yet ...but I’m rather confident I could get this set up to just explode off idle...I always wanted to to try but I couldn’t afford to play this game ...I’m sure this is as close as I’m ever going to get to one lol....I’d say the potential here is huge ...and I’m sure you can make this set up just scream ...im thinking there going to be another hooch type rocket chaser on this forum ...smart hands and a open mind will get you there

OK, here's the deal.

I cannot tell a lie. I never really got this setup "dialed in". And I'm pretty sure that even if I did, I don't think I'd have been happy with it.

A lot of people have been successful in doing this. I may be perhaps somewhat less skilled than some and I definitely ran out of patience. Funding can start to add up quickly if you continue to buy carburetor bits to experiment with different combinations. That's where an A/F sensor would become so valuable. I don't have one. Didn't feel like springing for one.

The bike "was" completely rideable, I just would never have been happy with the sub-optimal ground manners and some of the other things I note below. Expensive lesson.

So, I guess it depends on what you consider dialed in - I was not happy with it. I never got the bog cured on sharp stab of the throttle. Rolling on easy was no problem - but I like to stab a lot. I experimented with alternate slow jets and mains. I tried just about every accelerator pump stroke setting and I had the exhaust valve (pump by-pass) zero'd out. I really needed an A/F gauge to get any further.

Fuel economy tanked with them - 28 to 30 MPG vs. 40-42. The bike smelled like my old hot rod El Camino (gassy) with open stacks. I really didn't want to cut shelter covers to compensate for clearance issues.

...and I have been distracted a bit by another woman...the CBX.

I might take another stab at it this fall. Or I might sell the setup. It's truly turn-key now. Except for the slight bog.

Not defeated, humbled, and I commend those with the patience and/or luck to get the correct combo with no fuss and bother. I agree with Joe. It may not be so much a fueling situation as it is an airflow situation. Small displacement/vacuum characteristics could probably benefit from even smaller venturis - although folks say the 28's are the ones to use. I'm not so sure. And I dang sure wasn't going to splash another $100 to find out.

By the way, it sure runs sweet with the old rack back on.

Expensive lesson.

View attachment 1

file.php

file.php

Latest posts