GL1000 vs GL1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure about pep, but torque is what rally seems to increase with each engine size increase. There is a significantly noticeable difference between the 1100 and the 1200.

not really ... your 79-78 1000 has the mildest cams....second largest carbs ....if all is doing good they can run well ,,, as far as 1000s go the 78-79 have the best lower end ...75-77 have the most aggressive cams and the largest carbs ...the 75-77 lower ends on them are a bit noisey from the primary chain slap when they run rough ....the 1100 motor is and improvement over the 78-79 lower end ...crank is beefyer and primary chain tensioner is even better ... there carbs ar smaller than the 78-79...but at least they finally address the cv carbs lack of getting going with excellerator pump added...the cam a bit hotter than the 78-79 also ...carbs seem to give up at about 7000 rpm and fade off ....many gearing changes in 1100 motors 80-81 were the lowest geared of all oldwings and in 83 the 1100 was the tallest ever made at that time ...1200s have the best lower end ...its basiclly a stroked 1100 with beefyer crank 11% more oil and coolant flow ...and best gearing spread of all the oldwings along with the 83 1100...thing i dont like on 1200 is carbs are the smallest of all oldwings ... heads have small intake valves ...head is a hydro lash adjuster...not simple to deal with ..i like the big valve heads of 1000s and 1100s ...i like the early aggressive cams of the 75-77 1000s... i dont like any of the stock CV carb racks ....

my bike is a 77 framed 1000 with 86 1200 motor with 1100 heads ...76 early 1000s cams ...1200 piston knotch so piston dont hit...with a progressive linkage weber 2 barrel carb ...that makes a complete never said slow oldwing .....it is a rocket hunter ... the bike also the best.. fantastic multi spark c5 ignition also ... it will jerk your arms off the bars ....but also did a several month road trip with no problems ..this is all just my opinion ..what else can i say and be honest ...this ought to fill you up with my thoughts :heat:

I doubt he's gotten close to top yet. Suffice it to say it will get tickets to the policemans ball.

well brad the weakest part on the bike is me ...it took me over the clift once already...had to put on a safety throttle only rubber man could twist all the way ...i am still slowly as im always broke getting the rest of the bike up to anything close to the motor work ..getting there ..2 gears your breaking all speed limits ...and i cant afford tickets either...broke and retired is not the greatest mix to deal with...oh and by the way bike is faster now than video shows ..lots of improvement since them ... :thanks:

Man Joe you truly are a mad scientist! That is a marvelous machine. I know what ya mean about being broke. I'm scrounging pennies just to get my old cruiser on the road and feel the wind in my hair again before the "W" word gets here LOL. Definitely keep me posted on improvements! I've been telling my cousins about your bike today they are motor heads who truly appreciate your creation! Keep on rocking in the free world brother.