Why do you like your tires?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm takin' my wheels in for new tires. '83 standard, poorly dressed with the intent to ride it hard and pull a trailer sometimes. I put Metzlers on the other '83 and I'm very happy with them.
What do you suggest for this one and why do you like them? Is it low cost with reasonable performance, or the best grip...damn the cost. I would rather not save money at the cost of lower safety, but lets not throw money away either...how do you decide?

I went with shinko tourmaster tires because they got mostly good reviews and were at an acceptable price. I've not had any issues with them so far. However I've not got over a thousand miles on them yet.

im with v in your case ...sinko tourmaster seem to be the company that actually tries to makes a great tire for these older wings ...for todays riding ive got one on my hooch bike in the front ...its a 1200 wheel on it ....and really fills up the forks compaired to the previous tire on the wheel ..cant remember what it was ..dunlop probably....in the rear i have a car tire and it better than any motorcycle tire ive ever had ...in handling stopping and mileage...but thats not an option for you...just saying what i have ,,,its a 1200 wheel that been custom milled to use car tires

I put a pair of Michelin Commander II tires on my 1984 Aspencade. These tires are supposed to get more mileage than any other tire on the market. They guy who does mounts my tires for me showed me a used Commander II that came off a HD. The tire had 12k on it and looked new.

I put 1000 miles on them in the mountains of North Carolina and they perform great as well as look good, cost effective, and I shouldn't have to replace them in a year or 2.

For my GL1000 I have some Metzler Lazer Techs on it. I think they will wear pretty quick but they really grab the road in the corners. I ride the 1000 like a sport bike and not like a gentle cruiser.

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires ... mmander-ii

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167526#p167526:23x0b49c said:
joedrum » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm[/url]":23x0b49c]
im with v in your case ...sinko tourmaster seem to be the company that actually tries to makes a great tire for these older wings ...for todays riding ive got one on my hooch bike in the front ...its a 1200 wheel on it ....and really fills up the forks compaired to the previous tire on the wheel ..cant remember what it was ..dunlop probably....in the rear i have a car tire and it better than any motorcycle tire ive ever had ...in handling stopping and mileage...but thats not an option for you...just saying what i have ,,,its a 1200 wheel that been custom milled to use car tires

You really like that dark sider upgrade Joe? How much did it run you to convert it?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167528#p167528:tjav8tbw said:
bronko37 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:09 pm[/url]":tjav8tbw]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167526#p167526:tjav8tbw said:
joedrum » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm[/url]":tjav8tbw]

You really like that dark sider upgrade Joe? How much did it run you to convert it?
1200 swingarm ,drive,wheel, brakes,and tire. Donated by me.

E3's milage was not very good, :nea: love the Commander II's on all of mine. :good: Best feeling set of tires ever had, :shock: wear is slight, even, & smooth, with no cupping or stepping. :yes: :yahoo:

Loved the Bridgestone S11's on my 82, great wear, grip and control. But as you know, ask 20 guys get 20 staunch reviews that piss on everyone else's opinion. Wanna talk oil while we're at it? :?

Oh yeah, love the E3's on my 1500. Fantastic wear so far.

~O~

Another thumbs-up for the Commander II. They don't track on grooved pavement and are great in the rain. 4300 miles last season and they still look like new.

I liked the Metzlers 880 with dyba beads in them. 3 sets on my 1100 and got 10,000 miles with no cupping. Metzlers with "ride on" in the tires ( the liquid balancer and sealer) were on my bike on my way to Alaska. Unfortunatly I only got 5,000 miles on them when the engine died. I do puill a trailer.

Post subject: Re: Why do you like your tires?
:Awe: because they hold the wheels off the road. :hihihi: :BigGrin:

shinko tour master on front and shinko 777 on back, run true, balanced well, don't track in ruts....oh and best of all....they hold air

We really should hide this thread from Joel... :whistling:

Seems the biggest problem is the recommended tire size for these bikes, many feel the they just aren't correct for the weight loads of the GL1100.

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167542#p167542:2n975fsl said:
Omega Man » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:48 pm[/url]":2n975fsl]
We really should hide this thread from Joel... :whistling:

Seems the biggest problem is the recommended tire size for these bikes, many feel the they just aren't correct for the weight loads of the GL1100.

~O~

:cheeky:

Well...I WUZ gunna stay out of this, but since O-man dragged me into it... :BigGrin:
I've not had very good wear with ANY tire I've used, but I will say that I have gotten the most mileage from the Shinko Tourmasters than any other. I've run the Dunlops, and Bridgstones before. ALL of them had good wet/dry performance, and the Bridgestones seemed to have the best ride quality. The Tourmasters work well for me, with the exception of feeling wobbly until they get 1000+ miles on them. Rim size limits what I can use, so I'm stuck with what is available to fit. Far more choices for the '83 rim sizes than the '81. :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167522#p167522:1qtul75g said:
slabghost » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:41 am[/url]":1qtul75g]
I went with shinko tourmaster tires because they got mostly good reviews and were at an acceptable price. I've not had any issues with them so far. However I've not got over a thousand miles on them yet.
+1 :good: and I ride fairly hard :moped: :good:

Only bad thing about the E3's was the milage was less than the E2's. :shock: Other than that, they were great. :good: The milage on the 1200 standards was a lot better than the 1200 Interstate, & 1500 Aspencade, :yes: weight being the main difference there, :headscratch: air pressure was watched as always on all the bikes. :roll:

I have been using Bridgestone S11 Spitfires and average about 17,000 on the front tires and 13,000 on the back tires. They have very good grip and track very nicely on my '82. My bike is mostly standard with Hondaline bags and I pull a trailer!

Latest posts