Noob needs help starting a 1982 GL1100 A

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglarry1900

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter, and tried to start, but the battery was weak. Pulled out the battery, charged it, and put it back in the bike. Hooked the terminals up wrong, not paying enough attention. Got a new battery, installed correctly, and bike will still not do a thing. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

If you're lucky,if you're not.you may have fried the electronic ignition parts

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=172329#p172329:3o4vovgn said:
biglarry1900 » 9 minutes ago[/url]":3o4vovgn]
I replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter, and tried to start, but the battery was weak. Pulled out the battery, charged it, and put it back in the bike. Hooked the terminals up wrong, not paying enough attention. Got a new battery, installed correctly, and bike will still not do a thing. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

It will do absolutely nothing. Will not turn over, will not even act like ignition is turned on. Where is the main power fuse located?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172350#p172350:1kawdlmf said:
biglarry1900 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:46 pm[/url]":1kawdlmf]
Never did get it to do anything. I did remove the fuse. Where's the best place to pick one up at? How can you tell if it's shot.
It will be in 2 pieces, mine has a spare right in the box cover, did you look there.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172353#p172353:9re9otmd said:
backyardtrouble » 7 minutes ago[/url]":9re9otmd]
Why don't you call me tomorrow and i'll drive over... :builder:

I got church tomorrow, but I may be giving you a call soon if I can't get it figured out.

This is something I had to look up on google but it seems with cars it blows the alternator, on a GL maybe the regulator under the tank but probably not the stator, also reading it wigs out ECU's but we are not computerized so that's good, till you actually get the lights and all to turn on no way of knowing.

IT LIVES!! I replaced the 30 amp dog bone fuse with a 30 amp fuse holder and fuse. After I got it started, I noticed a lugging sound/rattle that seemed to dissipate as the rpm's went up and the bike got warmer. Is this normal? Indicative of a bike that's set too long and needs to be run more?

Thanks for your help. See you out there.

Yes it's normal and likely from dirty carbs. Will it idle after it warms some? Congratulations! Add about 4oz of automatic trans fluid to the fuel at least every other fill up and it will clean the carbs as you ride it.

+1 on the a t f in your gas if it will idle after starting, idle will need turned down as the idle jets gradually open up from running it.

Latest posts