How to translate craigslist motorcycle ads.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice guideline, amusing tips included.
CL is a perilous place full or scammers, spammers, and misleading ads. But there are also good honest people, you just have to use good judgement and weed out the crumbs.
Beware and use your gut check on questionable ads.
Question the seller via email reply, hesistance or irritation to specifics indicate seller ignorance or potential dishonesty.

Deciphering what the ad says and sometimes more importantly, what it doesn't say. Skewed photos, night photos, a single or very few photos, only one side photos. Another key is observe photo backgrounds and scrutinize it carefully, it can be very telling.

I've bought and sold dozens or cars, trucks motorcycles, and other things on CL without incident but I am very cautious and thorough.

I've bought and sold dozens or cars, trucks motorcycles, and other things on CL without incident but I am very cautious and thorough.

Me too. It's not hard to tell the guys to avoid. I only got burned once driving 45 minutes, getting my neighbor to tow his trailer, only to find out the dip had a screwy title. Out of state with white-out over a signature. That's after telling me he had the title. You have to ask that on trailers, boats, and bikes because they often don't.

Clear pics, good description, written in halfway decent English, happily answers questions. I do not answer any ad that includes the "hmu" (hit me up= contact me) which means the kid is under 21 or has the mind of that age. Also, I never answer one that includes "don't waste my time". That guy is starting the deal with a bad attitude which he probably got by being an a-hole in previous dealings. "Text me for pics" means the kid is too lazy to post them- pass. The really fun ones are the guys that post a really short ad and 1 pic, then get annoyed if you ask questions that should have been in the damned ad. If you didn't want to answer all these questions you should have put things like the mileage in the ad!

"I am too stoned and lazy to take a photo, use capital letters or punctuation, or type more than six words, so just imagine how well I've cared for this motorcycle" :smilie_happy:

That's usually the same guy that thinks his 1987 Honda 250 Rebel that hasn't run for 4 years is worth $2500. AND doesn't want you to waste his time.

Latest posts