My BS200RS build is complete

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiri251

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found NOS phenolic idle gears (three of them) so hopefully no worries in the future.
Finished 250 mile break-in and she is ready to go!

IMG_20160710_124831.jpg

IMG_20160710_124842.jpg

IMG_20160710_124921.jpg

Added chinese electronic tachometer and turn signals.

Next up, home made expansion chambers? LOL

Considering what the motor looked like inside it's an amazing build! I've been wondering for weeks how it was progressing and here you've been out riding it. That's an awful thing to do. Keeping us in the dark like that. :Doh2:

Well I thought it's not appropriate to launch Bridgestone rebuild thread on Goldwing forum. :hihihi:
I had issues with carbs and oil injection. They appear to be okay now.

Thanks for all the help and praises, every one!

You've got a rare treasure with all the more value of your rebuild. I'm really happy it has turned out so well. BTW I really was wondering how it was going.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176764#p176764:1ogviz6n said:
slabghost » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:53 am[/url]":1ogviz6n]
You've got a rare treasure with all the more value of your rebuild. I'm really happy it has turned out so well. BTW I really was wondering how it was going.

Thanks for the concern and sorry I didn't keep you up to date.

Initially it had one cylinder overheating, turned out to be my fault (float level).
Then carbs leaked really bad from float bowl gasket. I sanded bowl mating surface flat but it didn't help. Currently I have two gaskets in there and that finally stopped the leak.

I was using premix fuel for the break-in. Before switching to oil injection only, I checked oil injection system. I found right side oil hose was off. Good thing I did otherwise I would have seized engine.

My current issue is the gas mileage. It's only 35MPG even though I didn't rev the engine much (~5K RPM). And in that rev range the ride is fairly pathetic.

The plugs look dark so mixture is rich (which is better than lean especially it is still in semi-break-in period according to Clymer manual).
Jets are all stock but I guess needles and needles jets are worn (the bike had 10K miles on it and obviously abused by the horrible state of cranks/crank case and seized/holed pistons).

So I am waiting for NOS needles and jets.

Great that you are riding it. Early oil injection often has failures with catastrophic results so if it was mine I would be premixing that way you can't run it without the correct amount of oil. Your fuel economy sounds good to me as that is about the same as the Rats Nest. :smilie_happy:
Don't worry too much about your fuel economy until your engine is fully run in. As you are well aware better to be rich than lean as fuel cost is the cheap part of the equation :yes:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=176803#p176803:1w4yhtgm said:
Ansimp » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:04 pm[/url]":1w4yhtgm]
Great that you are riding it. Early oil injection often has failures with catastrophic results so if it was mine I would be premixing that way you can't run it without the correct amount of oil. Your fuel economy sounds good to me as that is about the same as the Rats Nest. :smilie_happy:
Don't worry too much about your fuel economy until your engine is fully run in. As you are well aware better to be rich than lean as fuel cost is the cheap part of the equation :yes:
I agree that you should go with premix fuel full time. At least a few ounces of ATF in the tank each time just in case the oil injection fails. Mileage too sounds about right to me. It never was a powerhouse. Great looking bike for fun rides.

Update:

I have been jetting the thing. Tried #100 main jets (from #95) and although the plugs got nice tan color no performance improvement.

I bit the bullet and bought brand-new carbs.
The original Mikuni VM17-18s are no longer available but there are VM18-144s. The same clamp-on mounting with different internals.

Wow, what a difference!
Just came back from usual nearby twisty and the bike behaved really well.
It has more torque now to climb a hill in 5th gear.
What 200cc 2 stroke should be.
And the gas mileage was 61MPG!

Regarding premix:

Yeah I guess that's 100% fail proof.. just carry 2T oil and add to the tank according to the gas I put in..
although the pump looked very clean outside and it is working okay now. hmmmm..

Great to see mileage and performance gains. Can't beat new carbs where possible. :good: :salute:

Latest posts