New Indian's

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177754#p177754:xxm3vouh said:
slabghost » 4 minutes ago[/url]":xxm3vouh]
Everything I never wanted or needed. I'm not at all interested.

Well thats a pretty narrow minded and negative post.

Are you just stanchly anti modern innovation and only like basic type transportation of the older bikes?

I'm not at all against modern technology. I do however prefer basic transportation in all forms of vehicles. I've never owned or used a GPS yet I find my destination every time. I am against driving distractions and adding those to vehicles. Every week it seems I pass an accident in places where visibility is not at all limited. I don't care to be a statistic. I'd rather enjoy my life as long as I can.

It is cool! Technology can be a great advantage, but I also prefer simple controls without all of the readouts in front of me. Part of my job requires me to travel a lot and get all different kinds of rental cars. It can be a real pain to try to figure out how to even start some of the new cars let alone turn on the radio in some of those displays. For those that like infotainment, it is fine. I like the good old fashioned radio knob, simple fan speed button and a thermostat to control temps. I can do without the rest!

Thats understandable however modern vehicles do not permit GPS interaction when the vehicle is moving.
I had an 2006 wing with a built in GPS and even back then you couldn't change anything when riding.
My truck is also designed this way.

I agree with the distraction issue but a quick glance can be towards any instrumentation or even a roadside object, it's unavoidable.

we are raising a people now that couldnt drive like most us can and actually get there ...to me this is sad in a way ....to them tech is mandatory ....reinventing the wheel with brain implant and basically runs itself ...telsa makes self driving cars and recently they have been involve in tragic loss of life accidents that were there fault ...so the tech is no better than old human control ....

tech is great till your brakes dont work when you need them too and you die over it ....id rather it be on me to do something stupid

I get it, people are usually resistant to change and cleave to familiarity.
Basic simple straight forward things do have a certain amount of joy in their sheer simplicity.
There is a tendency to be sentimental and enjoy things from ones youth.

I too have some degree of attachment to various sentimental or classic things but also enjoy and use the latest innovations and the modern.

For instance: I wouldn't want an old black and white TV, desktop computer, rotary dial phone or any antique electronic. That goes for appliances and many other things either.

I strongly prefer: GPS to maps.
my self propelled mower to a push mower.
streaming movies to renting VHS or DVDs
Cental air to no air conditioning or window units.

On and on the list is endless.

I like some things that are older and simpler but really like new modern products too even with their flaws, recalls, and shortcomings.
Anytime something brand new is tried, there will be issues to be corrected and worked out.

I am a gadget guy, so I like how the back side looks... the view from the front, I'm not so sure about.

051116-Indian-Dark-Horse-Unveiling-34-633x388.jpg

It kind of reminds me of a 50'e era bus.

bus1950.jpg

i agree terry ...if on there own there accepted and can exist in a fair market im all for it ...but this always leads to mandating things in a supposedly free market .....my hooch bike proves to me ..its as good and really better than all the mandated FI and what ever stuff out there today ..witch has all the market cause everything else was mandated out ...cars and bikes would be who knows how much cheaper if simple was allowed .....

That touch screen interface & related handlebar buttons are a slight distraction when riding, at least the one time I've tried it. Rented a bike to try for the day, with all these goodies. After the trip out to destination, I realized I'd been more playing around with all the buttons than looking at the scenery. On the return trip I tried to force myself to ignore it, that sort of worked, kept finding myself drawn back to it. Maybe if you rode it all the time it wouldn't draw you in. I only turned on the GPS when I got close to destination to see if it worked. It wasn't as much of a distraction, seems it was more the other stuff. Since mine has radio/cassette I only have 2 buttons to 'play' with, tuning and mute. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

The only real things that I'm not sold on that bike are fairing attached to forks (I don't like those in windy or curvy conditions), and is a motorcycle really worth 30+K? (doesn't matter whose), I guess those I'd have to buy used because it just doesn't fit me, I about choked on 20K :smilie_happy:

Ok, just to set the record straight. I am NOT seriously considering buying one these Indians. They are overpriced and not really my style, I just liked the new gadgets and technology on it mostly.

Sometimes the forum gets a little shall we say................................................slow or stagnant so I run something up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

It's a conversation starter, I see value in both perspectives.

You are right Terry, (and yes sometime it gets slow around here! :smilie_happy: )many things we take for granted today were once all manual or challenging.

I do not use GPS much because it has sent me (and many others) on a wild goose chase route rather than the most direct route that can be mapped out. Of course, out on a bike, going on a goose chase exposes us to some really nice out of the way rides we most likely would not have taken otherwise! :hihihi:

Don't get me wrong, I do like electronic navigation devices. In the world of navigating oceans, river and bays, it is great to have a GPS enable navigation screen with a chart right in front of you overlayed with an actual radar image of the area. However, once we get used to all of the electronics doing the work for us, we tend to stop relying on our own knowledge to perform the same task.

An example from the shipping side; I had a Mate steering our vessel at night coming up the Delaware River in heavy traffic and small areas for passing with very little deep water. He had his face buried in the GPS enabled mapping/charting system. He had no idea that we were passing through a known GPS dead-zone on the river and the chart was on automatic based on the last known position. There was an outbound ship coming at us and our course was about to send us behind buoys and out of the channel. I asked him what he thought about our current position (since he would not take his face off of that screen)? He said that we were good! :shock:

I asked him about the compass and radar showing our position as going out of the channel. He replied that he wasn't sure about that "old technology". I shutoff the computer and told him to look out the window at the ship bearing down on us and the buoy we were about to pass behind!!

My point? Sometimes the new stuff is really great! But it can also set us up for failure if we do not have the basics understood. I have taken away my daughters phone and have given her a map to find places. She learned, and now knows how to use a map to get around. That doesn't mean she will not rely on her GPS, but she now also knows the old school way.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177769#p177769:3cw7fdxv said:
Terry » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:09 pm[/url]":3cw7fdxv]
Ok, just to set the record straight. I am NOT seriously considering buying one these Indians. They are overpriced and not really my style, I just liked the new gadgets and technology on it mostly.

Sometimes the forum gets a little shall we say................................................slow or stagnant so I run something up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

It's a conversation starter, I see value in both perspectives.

saluting-us-flag.gif

:smilie_happy:

Most of you would be aware that I am stuck firmly in the Apple camp due to many versions of IPhones and a couple of IPads ( still have a Toshiba laptop as I am too tight for a MacBook Air) and the great Apps available. My current iPhone is an ES as it fits the same Lunatik case that my iPhone 5s was in when it came off the Rats Nest while doing 77kph as a dash cam. Our phones are set up to run in the cars and the Rats Nest as dash cams, GPS , GoPro remote and phones in a quick release holder that way they are easily accessible. I used to use Bluetooth headsets in my helmets to get the voice instructions, phone calls and listen to music but I haven't replaced my old ones from about 4 years ago. When my brother Kim and I were riding from LA to Sturgis and back we had his Bluetooth intercom headsets to wear and I lost interest in wearing them after about the second day. As we were doing big days of riding ( 4200 miles in 6.5 days) I found the headsets we were using uncomfortable in my helmet after wearing them while riding all day. I don't mind having to stop to take a phone call while riding if I think that it warrants my attention but I haven't missed the convenience of the Bluetooth headset. If I can ever get my wife on the back of a bike with me then I will definitely get new Bluetooth headsets to make it easier for a novice pillion to enjoy the experience.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177753#p177753:2hnc8dyx said:
Terry » Today, 7:40 am[/url]":2hnc8dyx]
Oh yeah,
I want one.

https://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/07/26/m ... mo20160728
Nice !! Totally love the Indian bikes myself,,being a Purist why not ride America's First Motorcycle from New England ? Polaris has dominated the V Twin Market along with it's Victory line also , But I still like the 2010 Power Plus Bottle Cap Indian design Motor

Latest posts